DBMS or flat file for e-mail system?

Started by
4 comments, last by Dreddnafious Maelstrom 19 years, 6 months ago
im coding a newish kind of e-mail system and im looking to make the actual e-mail server easy to deploy. the only e-mail server i've had to deploy was Red Hat which came with CinMail, and that required next to no labor. however the distro i used was wrapped by the Gallantry company.(GallantWeb Server) Long story short. Is requiring a DBMS like mySql within the tech expertise of the typical person that might be tasked with such a job? Also, would the advantages of a real database system be overkill for an e-mail system, or is it common practice to embed such a system in a large scale e-mail server?
"Let Us Now Try Liberty"-- Frederick Bastiat
Advertisement
My university's email system (it's not proprietary, but I don't know what it is) uses files, SquirrelMail uses files, Outlook stores all email messages in one file. It shouldn't be impossible to use a DBMS (doesn't GMail use one?), but it is one extra step that you are forcing people to go through (setting up mysql or something). I'm of the opinion that, if you don't need to do major manipulation of the data (such as sorting and what not), then a DBMS has no merit over a file on disk.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Grazzi, that's my line of thinking as well, just wanted to get some second opinions.
bleh, thats was me, damn that log-in procedure.[smile]
arrrgghhhh!
test... edit** hehe, finally!!!
"Let Us Now Try Liberty"-- Frederick Bastiat

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement