Doom 3 Released

Started by
14 comments, last by Doc 19 years, 6 months ago
Well I tried it today, and well it didn't work, then I took a look at my pk4's md5sums, and noticed pak002.pk4's md5 didn't match up with what it was sposed to be, and attempts to copy it off the cd failed, so I just did a ln -s to the one on cd and it worked fine.
Advertisement
EHHH, sorry but Doom 3 is made by ID software I think...
Quote:Original post by the_cyberlord
EHHH, sorry but Doom 3 is made by ID software I think...

You are correct. ID Software released the Doom3 demo for linux this week, and to get it, you can download it (Legitimately from ID) using a program called bit-torrent, which allows everyone currently downloading the program to share the load with each other.

Nobody is pirating anything...
Quote:Original post by CodeMunkie
Just checking! I'm surprised that is all. Sorry for the insinuation. I forget you Linux kooks get everything for free!

We don't get it for free. That installer requires data files from the Windows installation disk; they just saved themselves the cost/low return of putting it on CD. Stores wouldn't want to stock such a specialty item and most linux users are technically proficient anyway.
I downloaded the demo but the sound doesn't work. The output says this:
----------- OSS Sound Initialization -----------opened sound device '/dev/dsp'/dev/dsp - bit rate: 16, channels: 2, frequency: 44100WARNING: mmap 32768 bytes on device /dev/dsp failed: Input/output errorclose sound deviceWARNING: sound subsystem disabled

I'm using Alsa, not OSS. At least it doesn't crash like Quake 3.
I like the DARK layout!
It might be realted to this.
My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement