Is Computer Science even needed?

Started by
29 comments, last by Spoonbender 19 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by TomX

Let's imagine I get through college perfectly with AAA in Maths, Computing and Physics. I then take Mathematics in University whilst learning how to program during my free time. During this I make a few applications. I then apply for a job with my maths skill and portfolio of applications, why would an interviewer not employ me?

Thanks in Advance
TomX

Because you don't know any computer science. :D

Computer science is *not* programming. Programming is one (small) tool you use in computer science.
Programming can be learned in one afternoon at home.
Computer science is very different, and is actually useful.
Of course, maths is also useful. I think the ideal option would be to take some of both (probably with more CS than maths, or maybe a 50/50 split).
I'm studying CS only, and I'm not complaining though. It's very interesting, I'm learning a lot, and I'm not too interested in maths. However, most of the really skilled people at our uni are studying math as well. But the main thing is to pick whatever interests you.

Anyway, it's true, you dont need much CS to become a programmer. If you just want to sit and code all day, all you need is some decent programming skills, no actual CS. Then again, a lot of programmers are actually pretty lousy, and this is one of the reasons. CS is at least a guarantee that you've learnt a lot of extra tools to help you when programming. You know how the computer works, how your compiler works, how to code efficiently for those, and how to design and implement efficient algorithms, or just how to stay on top of big projects. You basically know what's going on behind the scenes when you run your program. That doesn't in itself make you a stellar programmer, but it does make it easier. :)

You learn an awful lot of additional useful skills from CS, stuff that you don't usually pick up just by studying a bit at home, or coding programs in your spare time.

If Maths courses taught you everything you needed to work with programming, better than CS did, then CS would never have become an independent science. ;)
You still need math skills, preferably lots of them, but that doesn't mean they replace CS.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement