Is Computer Science even needed?

Started by
29 comments, last by Spoonbender 19 years, 6 months ago
Hi, I'm in college currently studying Computing, Maths and Business Studies, I'm considering changing Business Studies to Physics but that's another story. Anyway, if I did get into college I feel I would be more beneficial to a programmers prospects if he took Maths rather than Computer Science as your computing skills can be shown through examples whilst Maths skills are usually shown with exam results. So, what I'm trying to say is, would a Maths course be more beneficial to a programmer, rather than Computer Science? Thanks in Advance TomX
Advertisement
i believe that Computer Science is complementary to Math and vice versa. CS is nothing but the science of computation and at its most base form deriving new formulas (well from what i've read and expericenced). so i don't think replacing one with the other possible or wise.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

I don't know how it is in the UK, but don't your computer science classes have exams as well?
Hrmm, a 'math course' vs a 'computer science course'. My coin says go with computer science. Without further details, I'm going to have to agree with it.

If you're talking about college algebra for math, or boolean algebra for computer science, I say go with computer science. Differential Calculus(math) vs Lambda Calculus(cs)? Again, go with the CS.
Hopefully you get my point that 'math course' could mean about 500 different classes and the same goes for 'computer science course'. Without knowing what the classes would cover, choosing one is impossible.

Really though, I have no idea how the UK system works so I probably couldn't offer advice even when the details.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Well I don't think I expressed my problem correctly.

Also, let me mention how despite being 16, I have no idea what Calculus is :) It's not on any of the syllabus' as far as I'm aware.

Let's imagine I get through college perfectly with AAA in Maths, Computing and Physics. I then take Mathematics in University whilst learning how to program during my free time. During this I make a few applications. I then apply for a job with my maths skill and portfolio of applications, why would an interviewer not employ me?

Thanks in Advance
TomX
I'm hoping you call Calculus something else over there, because a math or cs program that didn't contain it would be of extremely questionable quality in my opinion.

I'm not sure there is much difference in which program you go through, as long as you complete it and can prove you can do the job in an interview. If you're confident you can learn to program in your own time to a good enough level to be hired, then go for it and take the math program in school.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
I think math and physics are very useful in game programming.

If you are going to work in this area, it may be fine to study math instead of CS, it could work in Mexico.

However, if you study CS as I did, you would learn many other things besides game programming, like compilers, operating systems, artificial intelligence, numerical analisis, graphics, programming languages, and so on...

In my own case, I guess it was better to do it as I did: to study CS, and then just remember some physics and math (like matrixes, coalitions, etc) in order to do games.

I hope this helps.
If you want to take Math, and then learn how to program computers in your spare time, I say go for it! I took computer science, with a heavy Math slant, but looking back, I wish I'd just taken Math, period. If you pay attention to applied CS topics (reading postmortems, partaking in open source projects, etc) in your spare time, you'll do fine anyway.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
I did the same subjects as you(Maths, Computing and Physics), and did a degree in Physics. I got hired as a programmer for the first job I applied to.

All it takes is a bit of dedication.
i never studied CS (except self-study and some small bits of computing in high school), and don't really know, but i know that math and physics is very valuable for graphics or even more for game programming. Looks like almost all physicists can code well enough.... and looks like CS-only students on this boards have more problems with math, but i don't sure.
If CS does not include calculus and linear algebra, you certanly will need to learn some additional math.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement