If you're looking for a multiplayer idea...

Started by
15 comments, last by trapdoor 19 years, 6 months ago
Really, this sounds very much like Zelda: The Four Sword, a multiplayer co-op game on the Gameboy Advance!
Advertisement
I think the co-op concept would work well. We may see it as an additional option in other games instead of a stand-alone genre though.

It already exists sort of... many multiplayer games can be played in a co-op mode, in both shooters & space/flight sims. The technology is there to accomodate two or more players... the only thing really missing is a storyline & detailed missions to complete the story, as you find in single player games.

It may be a way to bridge the gap between single player & multiplayer gaming. Imagine playing games like KOTOR or Ghost Recon where you can either play by yourself & have the rest of your team-mates be AI, or have one, two, or all of your team-mates be other players. They could progress through all the missions of what would have normally only been a single player game. This would make multiplayer gaming much more interesting than "capture the flag".
co-op rocks, everyone loves it - its just fkn hard! Really network games are complicated enough without having to deal with sycronizing scripted events, levels designed to work for 1 to 5 players and so on. There's also the huge problem of not knowing where players are, because I player might be at the end of the level while the other 2 are at the start: should you spawn the boss which needs two people to kill it when only one is actually at the end of the level, or should you wait till all 3 are there? If you spawn the boss player 1 will probably get owned, but remember that player 1 might say "don't go down there, there's nothing interesting" if you don't spawn the boss because when he got to the end of the level nothing happened as it was waiting for the other 2 players. Situations like that makes it alot more complex than deathmatch or a normal single player game. Halo basically sidestepped the issue but transporting the slow player whenever he go too far behind or something important happened, which worked well but the difficulty still remains if you don't want todo that kind of thing.

But Seriouse Sam 2 had the best co-op ever ... even better than halo co-op!
You should watch the Splinter Cell 3 co-op videos...it looks damn awesome. One person shoots a sticky cam and directs the other person passed some guards, or one person acts as a grapling rope for the other person, and there was a mission impossible style dangling from a rope scene...lots of cool stuff....i can't wait -_^.

[Edited by - cow_in_the_well on October 14, 2004 7:35:01 PM]

- Thomas Cowellwebsite | journal | engine video

Wasn't serious sam a mindless shooter?

Nothing too complex as storyline goes. I know painkiller was a mindless shooter.
iKonquest.com - Web-based strategy.End of Line
Hi!

Another idea: the players have to stick together, and they have to evade from an island. They have to stick together because everyone has a bomb implanted that explodes if the are far away from each other....

There is a defined distance within they are save, and they can leave this distance for a specific time to solve some puzzles - for example three players and three buttons to push to open a door. Every player has to push his button, and they have to return to each other in a few seconds....

What do you think ?

McMc
----------------------------My sites:www.bytemaniac.com www.mobilegames.cc
LOL that's like the opposite of Martian Gothic. You had 3 players (single player and you controled all 3) who arrived on a planet and they had to stay far away from each other. They were infected with a virus which consists of 3 parts. If either part came too close to another part of the virus, it mutated, took control of the player then tracked down the third part to form a monster. Game over. I remember one room where the players actually met. Far enough away, though. They had to press the two buttons. One person was in the room at one button but the other button couldn't be pressed cause you can't have 2 people that close together. I had to have the second person shoot the second button with a dart gun :)

Ah, good memories.
iKonquest.com - Web-based strategy.End of Line

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement