[web] c# Web Development

Started by
3 comments, last by Yratelev 19 years, 6 months ago
Hi all, Im fluent in c# and want to make a forum on the internet using c#. I dont kno asp but i know of it, is it possible to make a forum without asp, but with c#. I know asp is better suited, easy to learn blah blah blah, but i really want to do it in c# for other reasons. are their any tutorials or help about where to start? I have visual studio 2003.net Yratelev
Yratelev
Advertisement
Maybe I misunderstood something, but I have a feeling that you may be making some slightly wrong assumptions about asp. Asp is not so much a language - I consider it rather a platform. It is the .NET way to make interactive webpages. Asp will interact with c# code, and it is AFAIK the closest you can get to "making webpages with c#" (Unless you want to write your own webserver in c#, which is probably gonna be a lot more work than learning asp).
After all, learning asp may prove useful for you and being fluent in c# makes it even easier for you to learn it.
o ok, thanks... so are there any good tuturials anywhere, or shall i just plough thro googles search results! Actually does anyone know of some open source to a forum in asp/c#?

thanks

Yratelev
Yratelev
I'm moving this to the Web Development forum.

The simple answer to your question is yes, it is possible to code web pages in C# - provided you have the .NET framework installed on your server you're good to go. The benefits of .NET for web development are groovy. Aside from having access to the .NET framework plus WebForms, Web Services and an object-based page model, you get CodeBehind which allows you to separate your content from your code. ASP.NET can be coded in any .NET language - you can even mix them across pages (but not inter-page, that's for ASP.NET 2, I believe). This means you could code one section of your site in VB.NET, another in C# and another in JScript.

Have a look at a couple of sites - ASP.net, OnDotNet and GotDotNet for beginners Web tutorials in .NET. They have examples in C# AND VB, allowing you to compare the differences. Also check out the Forum FAQ for some more .NET links.
cheers ( i didnt see the webdevelopment topic, im just blind)

Yratelev
Yratelev

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement