Python IDE

Started by
37 comments, last by CodeTitan 19 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by Conner McCloud
My point of view was that of general purpose programming, for which Python is used, and for which I'm certain LabView and Simulink could easily be shown to be less productive than Python. I didn't disagree that visual programming couldn't appeal a certain audience (read the part about first person 3d programming). So in that light, the statement you quoted was indeed untrue. And likewise, first person 3d programming might be successful as well. But you need to take the context into account. It's unfortunate that some isolated statements of mine will give you the wrong impression.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
My point of view was that of general purpose programming, for which Python is used, and for which I'm certain LabView and Simulink could easily be shown to be less productive than Python.
LabView and Simulink are specialized applications. The principles behind them can be extracted from the context and applied to general-purpose programming. Mere quotation of a Brooks article or your assertion that something is not worthwhile doesn't make it true. You're not willing to discuss the possibilities of the idea, though, so there isn't much point even to my reply.

Your flippant remark about first-person 3D programming provides no insight. It's useless.
The main problem here is what language to use to write the actual application.Once that is settled, things become simpler.
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
there isn't much point even to my reply.

At least we agree on something.
Quote:Your flippant remark about first-person 3D programming provides no insight.
I'm sorry to hear that you don't understand the analogy.
CodeTitan: My recommendation is that you should write the IDE in python with wxPython (yay) or TKinter (barf). Python has more than everything you will ever need to write your IDE, and it will be portable, just like python. It is important that the IDE be as portable as python because portability is one of python's biggest selling points. You can run it just about anywhere without changing a line of code.
Your argument makes perfect sense. However, I am more interested in what language I should write the text editor. The rest is definetely Python.
I found a Python Scintilla port, but there is absolutely no documentation for it! What do I do? Write my own?
Quote:
I found a Python Scintilla port, but there is absolutely no documentation for it! What do I do? Write my own?

What toolkit are you planning on writing the IDE in?

Infact, I would recommend against starting from scratch. If you use another open source IDE as a starting point you don't need to do nearly as much work.
I am planning to use wxPython. I definetely want to start from scratch, as I also want to learn from this process.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement