Possible implications of an open xbox devkit...

Started by
8 comments, last by ontheheap 19 years, 6 months ago
Open Xbox Development They say on the site that this uses the cygwin envioonment for compiling a source file into an xbox executable file. You know what, so does Dev-C++. You can put 1 and 1 together and get 2. Now its only a matter of time before somebody releases one of those wonderful little devpaks that has all of the hard work done for you. And as this is primed to use SDL as the game library... woo hoo! If this does happen, what does it all mean? All I know is one thing. I need to pick up a mod chip, or a copy of Mech Assault...
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
Advertisement
anybody else excited?
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
I'd still have to buy an XBox, not to mention mod chipping it and such...so no, not I unfortunately. Although I can see why people who do have an XBox and mod chip would like this.

I'm curious how this is legal? The GDNet main news says it is, but why?
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
OpenXDK doesn't support any sort of 3D acceleration, and is unlikely to in the forseeable future.
That's a little odd. What is it for then, exactly?
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
2D games with SDL. Better than nothing, but on a platform that's essentially just a PC with known hardware capabilities you have to ask yourself whether it's worth it.
I'd say it's completely worth it. If I showed my friends a Mario-clone that I made and it was running on Xbox, they'd (in addition to being amazed) probably play it for hours before they got bored and we went over to Tim's house because Tim has a horrible pathetic life and I h8z him for stealing my spotlight.

Last hurrah for run-on sentence chivalry.
Things change.
I'm buying an XBox this weekend, and a modchip sometime after that, just for this little puppy. :)

Well, that and I can boot Linux on it. IRC on my TV!
Yay, more hand and wrist issues due to couch keyboard usage!

Anyways, I concur with sneftel.
Quote:Original post by PnP Bios
anybody else excited?

Not about this, but my DreamCast should be coming any day now!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement