Creating 3D sound for my game

Started by
4 comments, last by IFooBar 19 years, 6 months ago
I think it would be cool to implement 3D sound in my game. Basically I want to be able to control the pitch, volume and pan of all the sounds in my game environment, such as spaceships buzzing past you with a pitch according to their size. I can get the 3d pan and volume using DirectX8 audiopaths, and 3d sound buffers, but i dont have much luck controlling the pan manually and I cant control the pitch at all. I want to do it manually because i would rather code it myself than use listeners and all that stuff because that way i know directX isnt doing extra stuff i dont need, and so i can learn it! if you would like a clarification of my problem, just ask, and thanks in advance _Phalanx_
Advertisement
Use FMOD, it is VERY easy to use and Powerful. (3D sound, Pan, Pitch, etc.)

The web site is :
www.fmod.org

Its free for non-commercial purpose. ;)
Have fun with it!
My engine uses OpenAL. Its pretty powerful, and loads of top games such as UT2004 use it.

go to www.ultimategameprogramming.com for some good tutorials. And make sure u get the SDK.
------------ "Here lies a toppled God,His fall was not a small one,We but built his pedastle,A narrow, and a tall one" Frank Herbert (Dune:Messiah)
There's a very complete and good series of openal tutorials at DevMaster.Net. OpenAL is pretty easy and straight forward to use, I'd go with that too.
[size=2]aliak.net
I was hoping to use directX because most people have directX installed on their computer.
openal is cross platform. It if is run on windows it will use direct sound internally anyway.
[size=2]aliak.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement