advice on finding job in london

Started by
4 comments, last by _Vlad 19 years, 6 months ago
Hello there, I'm a passionate game programmer since a long time. I've just finished my studies in France and I'm looking to work abroad. More particularly in London. I could elaborate more on me or my experience if you ask so. I've posted my CV on monster.co.uk, I replied to several jobs, clearly stating that I'm well self-experienced in C++/C# and overmore I have a good diploma ("Ecole d'ingénieur") and I also state that I'm fluent in English. And strangely (or not ?) I do not get any response. I'm looking for a simple programmer position anywhere (game company OK but anything else OK also). So the questions : 1) I've been told that my French postal address (on my CV) discourages UK companies to contact me. Do you think it's not possible to overcome this ? (I really would like to relocate knowing I have a job) 2) Also do you think my programming page makes a good impression to potential employers : http://niculesc.iiens.net/ ? 4) Here's my updated CV http://vlad-game-coding.site.voila.fr/cv_vlad_niculescu.doc If you have some time ahead [smile], have you got any advice for improving it to find work in London ? 3) Anyone has any potential job for me in London [help] :) ???
Advertisement
Here are some simple improvement suggestions, based on the zillions of resumes I've looked at when hiring:

"Looking for a job in London" -- looking for a job doing WHAT? Cleaning toilets? What can you actually offer the employer, should you get this job?

Try something like "Looking for a software engineering job, where I can learn the company business, and apply my experience in creating software to ship great products" (assuming that's what you actually have and want to do). The fact that it's in London should come from you applying to companies in London ;-) If you want games, reduce the emphasis on learning the company, and increase emphasis on interest in some specific game area -- and what games are you playing right now, anyway?

Drop half of each of your General Programming languages from the resume. Or are you really a caml expert, looking for employment using that language?

"Mouvement integration" -- it's spelled "movement".

Now, if you made those improvements, and then applied for a job in San Mateo, California, I'd probably call you back for a phone screen.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Thanks very much for the reply.
I'll modify right away my CV and give some more tries to London based companies.
I briefly looked over your site, its not very user friendly as everything is just on one page. You should also provide a link to your resume and your email address on there.

In terms of the site layout if you decide to keep it as one page put the more impressive work, like the OGRE stuff, first and your not so impressive work last.

Expanding on what hplus said employers want someone with direction and a goal not just someone who wants a job. Everyone wants a job. Tell them what you can and want to do for them. Why you're the best person for it and how much you enjoy programming.

Best of luck.
Do not remove a fly from your friend's forehead with a hatchet.Chinese Proverb
Try putting your CV on Jobsite.co.uk, I found it much better than monster, I was getting 20 - 30 leads a day when I was looking for a job. (Though it depends on your salary and location as to how many leads you will get.)

Bp
Yeah cool, I was contacted at last. It looks promising except the salary 20-24K£ is not much for london.
Thanks all, your advices helped.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement