does anyone use Visio? (and a V question)

Started by
2 comments, last by Timberl 19 years, 6 months ago
hi, im curious, does anyone here use Visio to make diagrams for their projects? also, which diagram do you use? i cant seem to find a diagram where i can put my classes and how they interact. also, im doing this for a client / server game, so if theres a special diagram that can allow me to put a "message diagram" , that is, show all the messages being sent from/to the client/server, that would be awesome.. i cant seem to find anything like this. but basically, i want to model the interaction between the client / server. however, some day in the future i might want to model the interaction between classes in the general structure of the game, so id like to know how to do that, too. thanks for any help.
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
Advertisement
You want to read up about UML. Visio supports many of the UML diagrams.
--Before I couldn't spell engineer, now I are one!
I couldn't find c++ things with it either.
visio as far as programming's concerned basically just supports UML, you probably want what's known as a UML 'class diagram'. You can model your client, server and messages as classes and put send / receieve 'operations' (member functions in C++, methods in java) on the client and server boxes.

where you would normally write class X { .... }; put in a class 'box' titled 'X' and where you would write a function on a class

e.g.
class X{
public:
int getScore(){ ...}
};

you can put that in the functions as 'operations' (thats probably what visio calls them) on that class box. feel free to draw 'dependencies' (dotted lines) between the server & message, cient and message etc. - UML is a bit of an art rather than a science.

if you look for 'introduction to UML' guides and look for class-diagrams you'll probably find more info than you need.

actually class-diagrams are very useful for describing the 'relationships' in a program/application/system; but a 'sequence-diagram' might also be useful to you since that allows you to model the order of a sequence of events - e.g. a request message going out of the client into the server and a reply message coming back.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement