Has any game ever made you think about the larger world?

Started by
12 comments, last by King of Men 19 years, 6 months ago
I'd say a few MMO's got me thinking. At first, I see it as a game and whatever happens in there is just part of what you can do in the game. When I see what cruel things people do in these games, I am reminded a lot after a while of going over in my head what I want to do to that bastard, that it's not a whole lot different in the real world. Whatever the worst thing that goes on in the game, has probably happened outside the game in a different context. Not only that but I begin to think of the programming aspect too. Sometimes it seems that the developers encourage cruelty a little to force people to play in large teams as opposed to just as a group of 2-3 friends.

A lot of times I get vigilante thoughts. And which ever game I have been playing last, I tend to think as if I had the same abilities as the character I was in the game. I see some jerk on the street or on TV, I think of what I'd do if I had this ability or that power. Not that I ever act on them. Just the thought enters my mind.
iKonquest.com - Web-based strategy.End of Line
Advertisement
after playing counterstrike for a long time, and then walking somewhere, i always think about how wonderful peripheral vision really is.
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Yeah, one game made me think hard. Xenogears. It was an extremely deep game in terms of stoy line and character development. It was really philosophical and religious in a way. I think the story and a lot of the plot details and events are based on the writings of one Fridrich Nitzche. It went all the way from creation to destruction. It was quite a ride. Made you think of why the hell we're here, what's the whole point of everything. Why this and why that. I bet the game could become a new faith or religion or something, that's how deep I thought it was. Made you think of all types of things like who's really in control, what is really oput there. Is everything as it seems to be and questions along those lines.
[size=2]aliak.net
Paradox Entertainment's Europa Universalis and Victoria have made me ponder economics and its interaction with strategy many times.

[Jedi voice] You will buy these excellent games. [/Jedi voice]
To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement