c++ primer vs. c++ primer Plus

Started by
17 comments, last by Qw3r7yU10p! 19 years, 6 months ago
hi! are these books different, or or is the c++ primer plus only an extended version of c++ primer?
Advertisement
They seem to be two totally different books, because C++ Primer is written by Lippman and Lajoie, and C++ Primer Plus is written by Prata. I just finished reading Lippman&Lajoie's book and thought that it was excellent. Can't comment on the other book as I haven't read it.
I'll just point out that Stan Lippman is a former editor of the C++ Report, which was the premier C++ publication until its demise (with CUJ taking over), while Lajoie represented IBM on the ISO C++ Standards Committee and was a developer on IBM's VisualAge C++.

I have no clue who the hell Prata is.
C++ Primer Plus is a terrible book with no understanding of OOP. I believe it set me back years.

There are plenty of book reviews on the Association of C and C++ Users website.
Quote:Original post by petewood
C++ Primer Plus is a terrible book with no understanding of OOP. I believe it set me back years.

There are plenty of book reviews on the Association of C and C++ Users website.

I guess it's like Japanese adidas versus brands familiar there ,"adedas" and "adidass".
Is Plus really that terrible? I'm reading it right nwo (chapter 11 of 17), and so far I learned soem neat stuff, nothing too hard.
Should I finish it and then move on? I can probably finish on Monday-Wednesday.
Quote:Original post by Si0n
Is Plus really that terrible? I'm reading it right nwo (chapter 11 of 17), and so far I learned soem neat stuff, nothing too hard.

Put the book down, now.

Kick it away.

The only thing that book will teach you is how to create programming habits that you'll spend the next few years trying to break and overcome.

Prata teaches how to code C programs in a C++ compiler using a couple C++ features. He has no concept of the object oriented paradigm, and especially not the C++ standard.

C++ Primer Plus is definately one of the worst books written on C++ that I've seen, I would probably rank it around the C++ for Dummies or 'in 24 hours' books.. but I'm not even sure those books are as bad.

C++ Primer on the other hand is an amazing book by Stan Lippman, who I would probably say knows more about the language and paradigms than anyone other than Bjarne.
Then it was a week put to complete waste... =( Oh well, it was a library book anyway =P

Anyway, is the way by Bjarne good? I know a friend who has it.
Then it was a week put to complete waste... =( Oh well, it was a library book anyway =P

Anyway, is the way by Bjarne good? I know a friend who has it.

The two best books on C++ are:

The C++ Programming Language - Bjarne Soustrape.
C++ Primer - Stanley Lippman
C++ How to Program - Dietel & Dietel

You will definately find these books a little more advanced and more 'CS-Like' over your average C++ books, but they are most certainly the BEST in the category.

If you are really new and had a problem reading through any of the above books mentioned, I would recommend Accelerated C++ which would get you on track and ready for the next ones.

EDIT: Also I wouldn't call it a waste, because so far I believe you've only covered the basics and haven't got into his 'twisted C++ yet'.. so honestly you might actually be more prepared for one of the books I mentioned if you understood variables, pointers, logic statements, etc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement