c++ primer vs. c++ primer Plus

Started by
17 comments, last by Qw3r7yU10p! 19 years, 6 months ago
You might also want to try Scott Meyers 'Effective C++' books but probably after your done with the already mentioned titles.
Advertisement
I agree with the statements made about C++ Primer Plus. I started reading that book but ended up putting it down after the first few chapters. At least it was a trial period for safari bookshelf. Considering I've spent all my money on everything but a decent c++ book, I'm kind of stuck right now. I have a free (also legal) version of "Thinking in C++ v.1 and v2" in pdf format. What do you guys think of that book in particular?
Quote:Original post by Saruman
Quote:Original post by Si0n
Then it was a week put to complete waste... =( Oh well, it was a library book anyway =P

Anyway, is the way by Bjarne good? I know a friend who has it.

The two best books on C++ are:

1The C++ Programming Language - Bjarne Soustrape.
2C++ Primer - Stanley Lippman
3C++ How to Program - Dietel & Dietel

You will definately find these books a little more advanced and more 'CS-Like' over your average C++ books, but they are most certainly the BEST in the category.

If you are really new and had a problem reading through any of the above books mentioned, I would recommend Accelerated C++ which would get you on track and ready for the next ones.

EDIT: Also I wouldn't call it a waste, because so far I believe you've only covered the basics and haven't got into his 'twisted C++ yet'.. so honestly you might actually be more prepared for one of the books I mentioned if you understood variables, pointers, logic statements, etc.

Just a note that 2 != 3.
I just did a quick search on google and found this book. It doesn't look too bad. Anybody know anything about it?
Quote:Original post by DerAnged
Quote:Original post by Saruman
Quote:Original post by Si0n
Then it was a week put to complete waste... =( Oh well, it was a library book anyway =P

Anyway, is the way by Bjarne good? I know a friend who has it.

The two best books on C++ are:

1The C++ Programming Language - Bjarne Soustrape.
2C++ Primer - Stanley Lippman
3C++ How to Program - Dietel & Dietel

You will definately find these books a little more advanced and more 'CS-Like' over your average C++ books, but they are most certainly the BEST in the category.

If you are really new and had a problem reading through any of the above books mentioned, I would recommend Accelerated C++ which would get you on track and ready for the next ones.

EDIT: Also I wouldn't call it a waste, because so far I believe you've only covered the basics and haven't got into his 'twisted C++ yet'.. so honestly you might actually be more prepared for one of the books I mentioned if you understood variables, pointers, logic statements, etc.

Just a note that 2 != 3.

hehe yeah I forgot about Dietel & Dietel and went back and edited it in later :)
Quote:Original post by mikeyd
You might also want to try Scott Meyers 'Effective C++' books but probably after your done with the already mentioned titles.

I would also recommend the book Modern C++ Design once you are more experienced in the language.
Quote:Original post by ontheheap
I have a free (also legal) version of "Thinking in C++ v.1 and v2" in pdf format. What do you guys think of that book in particular?

If I didn't want to, or have the money to purchase the books I mentioned above.. the first ones I would turn to are the Thinking in C++ books. In my opinion they are really good.. and I would say better than 95% of the 'learning C++' books out there.
You're all forgetting Thinking in C++!!!
it's even freely available from the net (http://mindview.org), and it is wonderfull, it explains everything...
Just have a look at the site and read a chapter of the book.
In order:

Accelerated C++ : Koenig and Moo
Effective C++ CD Scott Meyers : excellent value for money
The C++ Programming Language : Bjarne Stroustrup
Effective C++ and More Effective C++ : Herb Sutter (or read the original articles on his website Guru of The Week)

Concurrently:

Design Patterns: Gamma et al
Refactoring: Improving the design of existing code

Use price matching websites like kelkoo.com or dealtime.com to get a good deal.

[Edited by - petewood on October 24, 2004 10:33:15 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement