Highschool student starting work on a project and seeking info, please help!

Started by
34 comments, last by Twiggy 19 years, 4 months ago
Well, don't you know anything?
I'm in a real need for those libraries
___________________________"Peg, is there a certain reason that cactus is standing in the place where my alarm clock should be?"
Advertisement
Quote:
The rest of the libraries on www.libsdl.org that can help me aren't 100% ready and stable, so I can't use them since I'm afraid in the middle of my project hand-in the whole thing will crash and result in a low grade for me. :(

Do you know of any sites that could offer libraries using SDL that could help me? I prefer them compiled (Binaries, i think that word is) and ready, since I don't know how to get them ready. Please don't try to refer me to tutorials trying to explain me how to compile this stuff, I really am late in the proggramming schedule and i don't have time for this kind of stuff, I really have to start working on my project.. :(

Well, for the record, ParaGUI is not really stable and is going through a transition phase right now, but i used it extensively for one of my projects (now mothballed, but you can see screenshot). You are welcomed to use it, but be careful. Ask the author about what he feels about it.

A lot of the basic libs on libsdl.org are mature (the basic ones like SDL_net, SDL_image, SDL_ttf, etc).

You did not specify what exactly you were looking for though.

The bad news is that you cannot expect to program a "simple RTS" without also learning how to compile. Compiling libs for use in the project should be trivial. Learning to use them should be more difficult. In any event, if you can't deal with that, it does not bode well for your project as a whole. Learning these things is part of the processs so i suggest you buckle down and get dirty with it.

Quote:
and leiavoia, about the AI issue.. i think you misunderstood me
i haven't meant some complicated human-intelligent game
just some basic pathfinding and the ability to play against the the PC. a very, VERY stupid pc. :)

No, i did not misunderstand you. I'm speaking from experience. It took me two weeks to get working *simple* pathfinding in my game, and i started with a pre-made class template. It is NOT trivial. Getting a *functioning* enemy-AI is 10x more complicated. You could spend the entire term on just that, and that's if you were already a seasoned programmer. With little knowledge on either subject, you are quickly progressing towards disaster IMHO.

My polite advice, again, would be to scale back your project. Dreams are one thing, but deadlines and grades are another. A simple demo that has a lot of polish will be more impressive than a broken, buggy, blob of code that "might be an RTS someday".
Ori ma'man :)
I'm from Israel too!
If you'd add me to your contact list via ICQ: 242219573, via MSN: ariyes@bezeqint.net or/and via Yahoo: arie_segal I'd be able to help you! ;)
Cya there buddy :D.
heh, cool :)
I'll add you soon

leiavoia, do you know where can I learn how to compile the paragui and other libraries?
___________________________"Peg, is there a certain reason that cactus is standing in the place where my alarm clock should be?"
I'll add you soon

leiavoia, do you know where can I learn how to compile the paragui and other libraries?
I'll add you soon

does anyone here knows how can i compile libraries? O.o

[Edited by - Twiggy on December 7, 2004 7:40:27 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement