Urgent! operator (ostream) Not anymore

Started by
13 comments, last by Fruny 19 years, 5 months ago
Quote:Original post by ffx
Not like that. Consider code :
ostream os(/* here goes archive type, binary, text or xml or any other*/);os << fVal;
My problem is that if user wanted to save to standard ofstream I need to call istream operator<< but if he wanted to save in binary I need to call member function write. You see my problem? Anyway, I've come to solution.

Don't worry, I don't plan to release bad article. I've seen to many of those.

Well, changing the behavior of std::ostream isn't a good idea IMHO - if you meant oarchive as in your original example, then my code example should work as intended assuming the reference refers to the ostream the user wants to work with - although my code example depends on the boolean "binary" (which would be set in the oarchive ctor as the flags were read). If you want to go with an ostream inheriting class (so you can pass an oarcive to an "ostream &") things might be slightly trickier since then you WILL have to work with the compiler-specific standard headers. A more complete example, using a class-local fstream:

class oarchive{    std::ofstream fs;    bool binary;public:    oarchive( const char * filename , std::ios_base::openmode mode = std::ios_base::out | std::ios_base::trunc ) : fs(filename,mode)    {        binary = ( mode & std::ios_base::binary );    }    void open( const char * filename , std::ios_base::openmode = std::ios_base::out | std::ios_base::trunc )    {        binary = ( mode & std::ios_base::binary );        fs.open( filename , openmode );    }    template < typename T > oarchive & operator<<( const T & value )    {        if (binary)        {            os.write(reinterpret_cast<const char *>(&value),sizeof(T));        }        else        {            os << value;        }        return *this;    }};
Advertisement
Why is it too late? Its because I've thought of another solution in mean time.

Quick, hurry before I come up with a better solution... ?!?!?!

That's new!
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
Quote:Original post by iMalc
Why is it too late? Its because I've thought of another solution in mean time.

Quick, hurry before I come up with a better solution... ?!?!?!

That's new!

My thought, precisely.

ffs, there is a book on IOStreams you would be well advised to buy.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
This thread just isn't the same without the overwhelming sense of urgency.
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
It is a well-known adage that programmers work better under time pressure...
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement