Graphics on top of a game

Started by
1 comment, last by KulSeran 19 years, 5 months ago
Hi, This is my first post to the GameDev.net forums, so first of all, let me say Hi once more :-) My question is this: How do I write a utility program that have graphics (a status bar that displays the status of some hardware for this matter) that are visible at all times, even (especially) on top of a third-party game? Thanks in advance (-: Le-Fay.
Advertisement
It's difficult. You either have to intercept Direct3D/OpenGL calls and add your own stuff (for example, make your own calls when you detect IDirect3DDevice9::EndScene()), or insert it at driver level.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Ive seen tools ( like LogiTek drivers ) that display some information ( like volume, or "PLAY" "STOP" when you hit the buttons ) ontop of everything.

They use the DirectX hardware overlay function, the issue is that it causes most fullscreen games to glitchout.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement