Where the H**** do i start?

Started by
13 comments, last by JD 19 years, 5 months ago
I recommend Accelerated C++since you have had programming experience,or sams teach yourself C++ in 21days because thats what I learned with.
-----------------------------------Panic and anxiety Disorder HQ
Advertisement
I hope you didn't pay more than $20 for VisualStudio, because you can usually get it dirt cheap (if not free) from your university. You can also get the compiler tools (no IDE) for free from Microsoft.
Free Mac Mini (I know, I'm a tool)
There are three things here that you need to distinguish between: Learning to program, learning to program games, and learning to make games.

Learning to program is a question of (a) acquiring the problem-solving, logical mindset that will let you break situations down into algorithms and data structures, and (b) learning a language in which you can describe these algorithms and data structures. Also, I guess, (c) learning some common algorithms and data structures.

You say you've taken some VB and some PHP - that's good. How are your functions and for loops? Do you know what lists, stacks and queues are? You need to know all of that before you move onto the next level - otherwise it'll be like trying to write good poetry in a foreign language.

Learning to program games is a question of (a) learning the algorithms, data structures and techniques prevalent in game technology, and (b) learning how to express those algorithms, data structures and techniques in one or more languages.

Most of this stuff is language-independent. Concepts like double-buffering, collision response, A* pathfinding, vertex shaders, or event-based input systems. These are the systems and approaches that you'll find in many games, as well as many non-game apps.

Learning to make games is a question of (a) learning about game design, (b) learning about asset production, (c) learning about designing technology to convey those assets to the user.

When you code a game, what you're doing is providing a medium for the designer and the artists to play out their constructions. You're a technician (or "software engineer"), working for them. If that's what you're interested in, then fine.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Google Accelerated C++, great book, that.

Oh, and, you don't need to sensor out hell. Honestly.
_________________Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen. -- Winston ChurchillGDNet-0.2 - rate users the easy way with this nifty Firefox extension. Updated with new features.
Lot of game coding will be spent in data structures and algorithms which rely on at least the procedural coding techniques. So start with that. Visual studio is a fine dev tool and has everything you need to program simple and complex apps. I use vc++6 std. ed. myself and it does games and desktop apps well. So the only thing you need now is lots of time, patience and motivation and you're set.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement