things you should and shouldn't do when writing stories

Started by
49 comments, last by sunandshadow 7 years, 6 months ago

Some good principles for designing any story:

Aristotelian Unity - Do not put redundancy in your design. Never use a bigger setting or longer amount of time than necessary. Never have two characters or objects that serve the same purpose. Smaller settings and more compact timelines make for a more intense story, and unique characers and objects which serve multiple functions are more interesting and memorable.

Main Character/Impact Character Complementarity - Most stories will have a main character and another character who has the most impact on the first character because the two characters have either opposite goals, or opposite methods for trying to achieve the same goal. In any story one of these characters should be forced by the plot to change their goal/approch, while the other character remains steadfast in their goal/approach. This is how you as a writer present a moral about what people should do or how they should do it to your audience. The character who changes does not necessarily have to be changing from the 'wrong way' to the 'right way'; a story with an unhappy ending suggests that the steadfast character was wrong and too stubborn or blind to change, and the dynamic character got dragged down too by not being strong-willed or faithful enough.

For Every Element, Include Its Opposite - If you want to talk about one character with a particular virtue/flaw/trait, you need to have another character with the opposite trait to contrast them with. If you want to show how a society is too ritualistic/individualistic/frivolous/stodgy/whatever, you need to show either a misfit individual or group within that society, or an alternate society, which has the opposite trait. Plot events too should generally be symmetrical or circular: a 'leaving home' scene somewhere in the story suggests a 'coming home' scene elsewhere, a fight scene is balanced by a brooding scene, a clever plan by its accidental mis-execution, a mystery by its solution, etc.

Register: Consistency and Variation - Your register (word choice) and tone should be consistent throughout a story and for each character, but each character's way of speaking should be different from the other characters' and the narrator's.

Control Focus With Detail vs. Ambiguity - Some of us prefer a lot of detail, some of us very little; nevertheless, you need to use both in your writing to direct your audience's attention to the important elements of the story. If you make everything detailed your audience will be bored because you are not asking them to use their imaginations; if you make everything ambiguous your audience will be confused, which again leads to boredom because they have no foundation on which to base their imaginative guesswork. Either make the setting ambiguous and the main character and plot clearly detailed, or make the setting detailed and the character motivations and plot ambiguous, and the audience's attention and suspense will be focused on figuring out what the detailed parts imply about the ambiguous parts.

[Edited by - sunandshadow on December 7, 2004 5:24:16 AM]

Really like this write-up. Good job.

www.marklightforunity.com | MarkLight: Markup Extension Framework for Unity

Advertisement
Thank you. smile.png I was just writing about Aristotle's theories of unity and other stuff in the article I'm working on. Intending to get to the main character/impact character topic later, but I'm going in chronological order and I need to make my way through the early and mid 1900s before I get to recent stuff.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Unusual and untraditional themes/focus/story

Original Anti-cliche characters. Unsexified female characters

Cinematic

Oh, something I would recommend, especially when writing game stories, is taking a look at Anita Sarkeesian's Tropes vs Women in Video Games youtube videos. She goes over a lot of common tropes that seem to hit the game industry over and over, even with smaller studios and indie games.

Damsel in Distress seems to be an ever recurring theme, as well as girl character whose only defining trait is that she's a girl.

I really enjoyed reading the first posts which were written almost 10 years ago and I can say 100% I've edited my story many times to come up with better ideas and I ask myself 100's questions so I'm not left with plot holes. Thank you guys!

Wow, I was supprised how long it is since I responded to this. Always good when a thread resurfaces; we get the opportunity to see if what we wrote bears any resemblance to what we now think. I'm ok with what I wrote. :)

Writer's Block

In regard to what you said about working with a team, I don't think you are right. It is always good to have somebody to work with. While one idea might sound fantastic to you, another person might be able to see the flaws in it and help you rework it until it is the best it can be.

no

One of my favourite rules of writing comes from Hemingway:

"Every character has a history, but most don't belong in the story."

Think about it. Think about life as it happens- it's such a great rule because it's so true (imo). And it allows you to create fun characters who might not necessarily 'hold the key' to the plot, but will help build the world, elaborate on themes, ask questions, etc.

PS: this is a really good site for story writing tips - (it focusses on sci-fi):

http://www.terrybisson.com/page2/page2.html

There's some good advice in this thread.

Personally, having spent several years studying story structure (I wrote fiction at that time), I can see the techniques used to be helpful when applying them to game design.

One thing that irks me in many games is the objective nature of story design. Sure, story depth can depend on genre, but still, no reason the story in many games can't have depth.

Anyway, that is one goal of mine on a current project: to design story first and build the game around it. Thus, using story structure - as one would in writing fiction - to generate a solid core.

I'd like to get into some technicalities to story structure (although, there is plenty out there), but time is pressing and I need to scoot out.

Despite if you're a discovery writer or a plotter. One 'Do' is to Know Your Ending.

*EDIT* : Blimey, just noticed the OP post date!

These pinned topics have a special exemption to the normal behavior that old threads can't be posted to by normal users. The idea was that pinned topics should only be ones that will always be relevant. I retired from being a moderator here though so I have no control over any of that any longer.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement