Doom on game-maker

Started by
21 comments, last by Mystic Gunman 19 years, 5 months ago
Quote:Original post by Mystic Gunman
It has a tutorial on the site.But you have to download it. Ever since I blew up the computer my dad will not let me download ANYTHING.

I suggest you sit down and explain to him that it would be near impossible to begin game development without downloading things. I’d just about state my life than any of the tutorials you download directly from the Game Maker website are virus-free (but do not hold me to it). Your downloading things right now just by visiting the internet – who knows what a questionable website might try to do.
Here’s a future tip: try to stay away from the, err, ‘questionable websites’ that one might be inclined to visit now and again as this is where you would likely pick a virus up from. And grab AVG and Spybot if you do not already have them (anti-virus/spyware tools).

Jackson Allan
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by jack_1313
It has a tutorial on the site.But you have to download it. Ever since I blew up the computer my dad will not let me download ANYTHING.

I suggest you sit down and explain to him that it would be near impossible to begin game development without downloading things. I’d just about state my life than any of the tutorials you download directly from the Game Maker website are virus-free (but do not hold me to it). Your downloading things right now just by visiting the internet – who knows what a questionable website might try to do.
Here’s a future tip: try to stay away from the, err, ‘questionable websites’ that one might be inclined to visit now and again as this is where you would likely pick a virus up from. And grab AVG and Spybot if you do not already have them (anti-virus/spyware tools).

Jackson Allan

Won't work. I can't persuade him at all.
You are pretty lost then, I'm afraid.
Better buy/find your own Linux box, then. Nobody has ever gotten great work done borrowing their parents' equipment.
Quote:Original post by Ravuya
Better buy/find your own Linux box, then. Nobody has ever gotten great work done borrowing their parents' equipment.

I made a pong clone on my parents computer and it roxored. Ok maybe it didnt roxor but still...
Anyways if you are making a doom 1 or doom 2 style game it might be possible but I have no idea how. If you want to get serious about game making then I suggest you learn how to program. But since you cant download stuff (such as a c++,c#, etc., compiler) I dont know how to help you.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
This is _not_ a free option, but 3D GameStudio is a 'game maker' type program but does so in 3D. I would avoid trying to do a 3D game in Java or Flash if I was you, you have to be REALLY good to pull that off and for a beginner like yourself it would be wasting your time.

Link - 3D GameStudio -
http://www.conitec.net/a4info.htm

What is going on with the people above attacking him? Just because you like to make games using languages and such doesn't make using a tool to do so any less valid. He is not a troll and his question was very valid in my view..

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - GameDev has nothing at all to do with code; code is a means to an end. The tool route brings people 'closer' to the true nature of gameDev/design because you spend less time worrying about the technology and more about the fun factor..
I would recommend to learn C++ with SDL instrad of using gamemaker.nl if you mean that one.

I used gamemaker.nl some time, but went on for C++.
In less than a year, with only spending 30 minutes aday I'm able to make the same programs myself as gamemaker can do (exept for networking games, becuase I havent't learned a library for that,however never understanded the network thing of gamemaker either).

With C++ and SDL you can also easily make games, however you have MUCH more freedom. (You can also learn that gamemaker language to customize your games but it looks like C++, and learning that will also cost you like a half a year, with the difference that you can only use it in the GM.

But thats just my opninion.
Quote:Original post by Manip
This is _not_ a free option, but 3D GameStudio is a 'game maker' type program but does so in 3D. I would avoid trying to do a 3D game in Java or Flash if I was you, you have to be REALLY good to pull that off and for a beginner like yourself it would be wasting your time.

Link - 3D GameStudio -
http://www.conitec.net/a4info.htm

What is going on with the people above attacking him? Just because you like to make games using languages and such doesn't make using a tool to do so any less valid. He is not a troll and his question was very valid in my view..

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - GameDev has nothing at all to do with code; code is a means to an end. The tool route brings people 'closer' to the true nature of gameDev/design because you spend less time worrying about the technology and more about the fun factor..

't costs money, and I'm broke.
I don't know why you havn't been pointed in the direction of For Beginners and the For Beginners Forum FAQ yet, they contain some excellent advice for getting started in games development.

You really arent going to get very far if you can't download anything though (well, you could, but it'll be significantly harder). If your dad is worried about your computer being effected by something nasty, then you could show him the websites for Spybot (download), AVG Free Edition (download), and Firefox (download). (All of these are free, since you seemed concerned about expenses). Spybot and AVG can help with detecting an removing any virus/spyware infections that could occur, and Firefox is an alternative to Internet Explorer, which as well as being aesthetically better and a bit more functional (in my opinion), should be less vulnerable to certain malicious code on websites.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I can use java on flash. I don't know how to use java, though.
Java Prompt on Flash MX Professional 2004.

That a'int JAVA thats &#106avascript, which despite the name has f all to do with JAVA.<br><br>EDIT - Here's a JAVA Raycaster:<br><br><A HREF="http://www.iol.ie/~kellyswd/Patrick/raycaster">JRaycaster</A>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement