Bezier Patch Modeling

Started by
0 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 5 months ago
First, some background: I'm not an artist. Well, not a very good one anyway. I'm a programmer, mostly. I've written a "square" cubic bezier patch rendering engine for a game project (of course), but I hate the modeling interface I've come up with. Problem is, I don't really know how to make it better. So I figured it'd be a good idea to go straight to the source of all the cool modeling and whatnot that I see in games: The artists :) I'm sure some of you out there use Bezier patches (or any type of 3D patch, really) to model things. Terrain, mostly. What types of editing interfaces can you think of that might be useful? Right now, it can pretty much do one of two things: 1. Move a patch around 2. Move a control point around. Also, it can ensure C0, G1, or C1 continuity between patches (as requested) by manipulating connected vertices. What other types of tools/operations/modifiers would be super useful (or ARE super useful if you use them in other programs), and that I might wish to add? If you work with curved surface modeling, what types of operations/tools do you find most useful? Are there any good free (or very inexpensive) programs that have a good patch modeling interface that I could check out? Thanks, Josh [Edited by - Drilian on November 27, 2004 1:18:46 AM]
Advertisement

..3ds max user

sounds bout right so far...

noise modifier wouldnt go amiss in a terrain editor (random up-down distortion, think hills).. maybe make it localised to the selected patches only

the main problem with patchs is getting angular shapes like 90 degree corners.. that comment may sound stupid as patches are inherently curves... but having the option to make somewhat angular shapes without addin a ton more corner points would be good.. or switching to a different modelling mode (editable mesh)..simplify!

besides that all i can think of is naming things clearly.. such as naming the control point button/switch "control points" etcetera..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement