Circular Linked List

Started by
2 comments, last by iMalc 19 years, 5 months ago
i am implementing a Double Linked Circular List ...i have a BUG in the "previous" pointer...

class node{
public:
	node(char ch):data(ch),next(0),previous(0){ }
	char data;
	node * next;
	node * previous;

};

class circularList{
public:
	circularList():last(0){ }

void insert(const char ch)
	{
		node * newNode = new node(ch);
		assert(newNode);
		if(isEmpty()){
//sth wrong here 
			last = newNode;
			last->next =  newNode;
			last->previous = newNode;
		} 
		else{
//or may be here :D
			last->next = newNode;
			newNode->next = last->next;
			newNode->previous = last;
			last = newNode;

}
	}

bool isEmpty(){return last==0;}

private:
	node * last;
};

[edit: added [source] tags -SiCrane]
Advertisement
When you add a new node in when you already have existing nodes, you try to insert it after last.

So after the insertion you want last->next to be equal to newNode, newNode->next to be equal to the old last->next, newNode->prev to be equal to last and the old last->next's prev to be equal to newNode.

So the order to do this, one order of assignments to get it to work without temporaries would be:
  last->next->prev = newNode;  newNode->prev = last;  newNode->next = last->next;  last->next = newNode;  last = newNode;

In your previous code, you assign newNode->next to be equal to last->next after assigning newNode to last->next, which will cause newNode->next to always be equal to newNode, which will break the circularity of your linked list. Also, you never assign last->next->prev, which means that walking backwards through your list will skip nodes.
Thanks a Million :)
Good to see someone implementing a circular-doubly-linked-list (or ring-list as I like to call it). They have the advantage over double-ended-lists that you need only store one pointer to the list and you can still start from either 'end'.

Also, if you try and implement merge-sort for this data structure you'll come across the interesting phenomenon, that the code to split one ring list into two, is identical to the code that joins two ring-lists back into one.

It sounds like you've got your code sorted out now (excuse the pun), but if you have any other troubles I could post my own templated ring-list code.

Happy coding!
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement