VazTank 3D shooter

Started by
4 comments, last by Jimmy Valavanis 19 years, 5 months ago
VazTank 3D shooter complete. Took about 4 months. OpenGL, straight C, basically took Nehe World 3 demo and turned that into a full game. Great for beginners in OpenGL and the book Beginning OpenGL Game Programming was most useful. ZIP | source | notes Download the ZIP, unzip all in same folder. No install, just double-click the exe. Tested on 10 computers from 500 Mhz to 3.0 Ghz, various graphics cards. You should get 60 FPS or better if running correctly. Although this is a Tank sim, this game contains all the basics to make any 3D shooter using OpenGL. Go ahead and Email or reply here if you like it or hate it. :) Source included in zip but not the resources (sounds). VazGames.com Phil Porvaznik
Advertisement
good work, the game runs pretty smooth, there are some minor glitches though - the problem with menu sometimes when i press down or up, the cursor goes more than 1 position. Well i don't know how the real tanks reload ammo but it does take a long time, and i don't have a clue is it ready to fire or not. And btw the chopper model looks good but it would be nice to have such medpoly models of tanks too.
Movement feels a bit strange. I can't stop the tank by presing the down arrow key. Also Firing is weird. I can only fire a bulet if I am close to an object. And sometimes it doesn't fire at all.

But still good job
Yeah, firing a bit slow since I'm using my WinProc to read the mouse, rather than DirectInput which I haven't learned yet. Hold the left mouse button down for a second or 2, also CTRL is fire. It will fire every time. You can hold those down for "rapid" fire. Fire is about .75 to 1 seconds between shots, I did that on purpose, otherwise its too easy.

I have some tank models, problem is they are 10,000 polygons (triangles) or more. I'll work on how to load a real "textured" model in my next game. Plus the copter flies backward, there is a formula to figure out my rotation angle on Y, I should add that and make it fly straight.

I put a delay in the menu, sometimes it does skip selections. A few bugs there, but it should run okay. The mouse movement is very sensitive.

Phil P
One more thing, your player tank increases and decreases speed with up and down arrows. If you want to stop immediately, press X on keyboard.

Phil P
Good work!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement