I feel like I am cheating.

Started by
36 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 4 months ago
Well, there is one thing that makes me happy, and it is: a game maker needs to be written and updated too. I mean, there will always be something to program, at least in the near future. And if programming gets 'obsolete', which I seriously doubt, there all always other things of interrest replacing it.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by stimarco

'Game maker' applications are the future of gamedev, albeit still probably some years away yet.
It would depend on what you define as gameamkers. :)

There are many companies who produced inhouse gamemakers over the years. Sierra with their AGI & SCI, Lucas Art's SCUMM or even Infocom's engine all qualify as custom gamemakers.

Designers only manipulated the scripting Engine and not the actual engine to produce a whole series of games. Sure, the inhouse team coninually updated the engine to keep them compeditive, but any commercial gamemaker would need to be.

I see gamemakers as something that will come and go when the current popular genre can support them. RTS & FPS are not very gamemaker friendly, so gamemakers are rather absent. RPG, Adventure and puzzle games all are very gamemaker friendly, but only a small number of that genre is produced. Creating a gamemaker takes a long time and if it isn't producing a large number of games, the time is wasted.
Nice post something i wanted to here about this!

I understand there are tools to help create games but if i believe if you don't understand what going on then you are kinda cheating.. Say that you wanted to make the best 3d enine and you are now able to program at a professional level, would you wrap a library like sdl? I wouldn't because it's already simple enough for me. I would want to know what the library does that every other library doesn't.. I would want to know what makes this library better or worser than the other...that way i can pick up and mix in even better coding and have something different than just a wrapper...I look on the web and find wrappers all the time. wrapping is good but knowing what is really going on is even better... think for a minute.. say that you was going to go buy a car. it could be used or new (esp. a used one) Would you go to the dealership and just cover your eyes and pick some rand car? I won't and i hope you don't because alot of dealership is just waiting to scam you. if i was you i would look at more than just the radio and other items. i would look at the motor and engine and body and everything else important
this is very important for companies competing in car design. They do more than make pretty cars. they have to uderstand the concepts. this is why i was trying to hand code somethings similiar to sdl. Games are more than ideals and even concepts. creating games is like creating a car but with more concepts. Remember engines don't just create they're selves...someone took time to code it and is probably still improving it and would want more programmers to help them. Engine design is a real job.

[Edited by - owiley on December 1, 2004 8:24:06 PM]
Bring more Pain
Ohh there is a differance. I am mostly used to Gfaqs, so maybe, you guy here at gamedev have a differant definition of gamemaker. Or I just got the wrong Impression. But I have always that of a gamemaker as RPGmaker of "GameMaker 5.0". Is it 5.0? But that sort of point and click game maker not a engine.
Gamemaker == point and click.
Game engine == coding using an coding libraried that make it all easier. (I dont mean directX or opengl or SDL I mean way higher level)

Thats my definition anyways. However gamemakers might use a gameengine for rendering and sound playing or whatever.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
Quote:Original post by zergdeath1
When I use SDL. When i first started programming I thought I would be doing a lot more of the put pixel in this color here and this color here kinda stuff. But with SDL all I have to do is load in the image and display it. I know it would take me forever to actually learn how to display a pixel by pixel thing for even a game like pong. Sorry If this is off topic, I just feel like I am using a gamemaker almost.

Ok. Just to tell you...I have had some issues with this to. I thougt that it wasn't just me who made the game...even that I know that almost all games are made by groups of people...

//walle
Quote:Original post by walle
Quote:Original post by zergdeath1
When I use SDL. When i first started programming I thought I would be doing a lot more of the put pixel in this color here and this color here kinda stuff. But with SDL all I have to do is load in the image and display it. I know it would take me forever to actually learn how to display a pixel by pixel thing for even a game like pong. Sorry If this is off topic, I just feel like I am using a gamemaker almost.

Ok. Just to tell you...I have had some issues with this to. I thougt that it wasn't just me who made the game...even that I know that almost all games are made by groups of people...

//walle
Do you want to program rendering code or make a game? You can do both, but why bother?
Real time software rendering

http://www.icarusindie.com/DoItYourSelf/rtsr/

I started programming with QuickBASIC and went to C for about a week several years later. I went back to QuickBASIC because I didn't like using libraries. I'd rather have a low res 16 color game that I coded everything for than a 256 color high res game that relied on black boxes. I wanted to learn how to program. Not how to use libraries.

After I was satisfied I'd done everything I could with QuickBASIC I moved on to higher level languages. I've since used DirectX and OpenGL but now I'm going back to plotting pixels so I can learn how those black boxes work. The Blackjack tutorials will also cover raster graphics once the blackjack game logic is complete. The point being to show how you seperate all the actual game logic from how you display it to the user. And also how you go from a really cheesy first edition to more impressive later editions as you build your knowledge.

What you use is entirely based on what you want to do. If you want to learn how to code then you should avoid black boxes. If you just want to make games then you should find black boxes that apply to your project.

Point by point pixel plotting isn't really that complicated. It's just unnecessary for most systems. If you intend to code games on a variety of systems then knowing how to do software rendering is esential since not all systems have hardware to do the dirty work for you.

Oh and game makers are junk and should be avoided if you want to learn how to actually program. They also limit what you can do.

Just come up with a project and then go as low level as you want. That game I made in QuickBASIC that maxed out QB's capabilities has a number of ports for other systems. It's easier to learn a language if you work from a project you've already made in another language. The first version of the game may look terrible but it doesn't matter. You can keep building on it trying new techniques.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement