Stupid VB question...

Started by
12 comments, last by kirkd 19 years, 5 months ago
you may want to try to install sp6 for visual studio - it is possible you're hitting an error that was later fixed:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/downloads/updates/sp/vs6/sp6/default.aspx

(btw, to view the version for your file you can right click it and select the view tab)
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by kirkd
Sure, not that it'll help much, but...

Dim Enteris as Long

Enteris = imgList.ListImages.Count

imgList is an ImageList control on the form that has been preloaded with images. I've tested this and any access to the imgList properties/methods causes the shutdown. I've had this line of code, this control in the exact format in this applicaton for over 2 years with no problem. Now, on this one machine I get the issue.

Thanks for the quick reply!!

-Kirk
Doesn't this suggest that the problem is with that PC?! At my work one of the testers found weird access violations that noone had ever seen before when not even doing anything, then my recordset which I never modify supposedly had missing fields, then I found that the FileExists function was lying to me, then I found that the OS failed to warn when files were being overwritten. I discovered that this XP machine has regular problems with the B.S.O.D! Needless to say I flicked the bug reports back where they came from, saying politely that the PC was f*%#&d! Works fine on every other PC.
They're not going to fix this PC until janurary, and the tester is supposed to test my product with that hunk of junk! Sorry for the rant, but you get my point.

btw, write a test program that executes the same failing line of code with minimal other code surrounding it.
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
woh woh woh...

If your program is working on 5 machines but not a 6th say - then it's the 6th machine that has an installation problem.

It's most likely a service pack issue. Do Windows Update, ensure newest version of IE, and reinstall the VB runtime.

If necessary create an install program that includes the exact dlls you are using distributed in the local directory. Dlls search order starts with the current directory... anything in the current directory usually overrides dlls found anywhere else.
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
Hey, hey, hey! Who is this Kryptus character and how did he/she hijack my question? That was quite rude. Moderator?

To answer some questions directed at the person who originally posted the question, aka ME, with answers from ME:

The ImageList control is on a form in my project. The images it contains are loaded at design time through the properties box rather than loading them at run time.

I'm developing with Visual Basic 6 SP6 and have the full Visual Studio 6 SP6 package installed.

The version of MSCOMCTL.ocx is the same on the "broken" machine as it is on the working machines. I don't have access to that machine right now - it is a laptop that someone is now using.

I agree that is must be something about that particular machine or the OS on that machine. I've found many web pages (forums, MSDN) that describe my exact problem but on Windows XP. The machine in question has Win2000 with SP4 and I assume it is up to date. I'm currently installing all possible updates on one of the working machines to see if that breaks the application.

Thank you all for your input!!

-Kirk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement