Source control for single users

Started by
9 comments, last by Houdini 19 years, 5 months ago
Hi everyone - I've thought about using source control for all the bedroom coding I do...but the current solutions (Perforce etc) all seem far to heavy-duty for my needs (1 user, 1 PC). Does a very simple source control program exist? Thanks Jim
Advertisement
Go with Perforce, it probably is the easiest to use source control solution and yet is very powerful (specially when you start managing gigs of game data). Other than that I would suggest looking into Subversion (which has sort of a blend of features from CVS and Perforce), although I have not actually used it.
The only one that springs to mind is RCS. If I remember correctly, CVS is a multiuser version of RCS. An issue with RCS would be the probable lack of a graphical client.
-- Jonathan
I use TortoiseSVN personally. It integrates into the Windows shell, and most operations are just two clicks away. Hard to get simpler than that.
I use Subversion for my at home source control. It meets all of my needs and once set up is very simple, easy and painless.

Just to note, it does support multiple users and everything that a full production software development effort would need, but it is still quite nice for a simple one man development effort.
RCS is good, well documented, and free. I've used it on a number of projects. It's good for single user (and really only single user) check-in, check-out, and version maintenance of files. It's a command line tool, so if you're uncomfortable in a DOS box, you might want to look somewhere else - but it's not difficult to use, and most free IDEs (GNU ones anyway) have built in support for CI/CO of files.
=========================Buildium. Codium. Fragium.http://www.aklabs.net/=========================
I agree with SiCrane. TortoiseSVN is very simple to set up and use - certainly the easiest I've come across. At the same time it's still got all the features of subversion and thus most of CVS's.
[size="1"]
IMHO Perforce is the best source control solution out there. It's free for one or two users. However it requires a license for more so it's no good for any sort of collaboritive open-source development.

I also use Subversion for my personal stuff. It has some pretty damning limitations for large-scale developement and some other minor annoyances but it gets the job done and it's better than CVS.
-Mike
Cool - thanks for all the replys guys.

:)
Mike: Perforce has a free license for Open Source developement. If you sign an agreement basically saying that anonymous reads will always be available on the internet, and that the source code complies with a long list of OSS licenses then they will give you as many licenses as you want. So its perfect for OOS dev.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement