Help with collision management

Started by
13 comments, last by Gammastrahler 19 years, 4 months ago
You really should look in the Articles section first. http://www.gamedev.net/reference/list.asp?categoryid=40
There are several articles here. This is also what Google is for
Advertisement
Hey, thanks for the information on Octree, after reading that webpage on octree it doesn't seem like it would be very reliable, and also it's kind of confusing. Isn't there an easier way doing this ?
if you want collision detection, you'd basicely have to test collision against polygons, (which can make any geometric object). if you don't want to, you can use bounding objects, such as a bounding cubes, are spheres. they require less processing but they wont fit with objects of your scene well, and you probably will have to implement them manually.
so for me, I would stick with the collision per polygon, and if you don't decide to use some kind of geometry partitioning system, like octree's or binay trees, or portals, then you'll have to test the collision with all of the polygons, even if they are very very far from your target, and aren't likely to be involved in a collision, in that is basicely a waste of frame rate. so I think it is a good thing to reduce the amount of proccessing you do on collision detection, using a space partitionin systems.
K'-P = ME
I already have my collision engine built, it tests per polygon. The reason for this is because I have also made it for polygon object editing, it is designed for I can test at 3D or 2D coordiates. Great for clicking on an object and then for an object detecting collisions on another object.
But the bit about my collision engine was not even my original question. It had to do with the managment of a collision engine, not the coding of a collision engine.

For now, all I'm doing is when you create the object in the object editor, you also have to create it's bounding box which is tested against the viewport so if it should be rendered or not.
You need to cull objects so that there are only a few you need to check for collisions.

Generally, for outside areas, an octree/quadtree like structure would be a good choice.

For inside culling, you could use a solid space bsp tree, or PVS system.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement