Texture Sizes In 2005 And Beyond

Started by
12 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 4 months ago
I have a newer graphics card than those we use at school, and my card only supports 2048x2048 textures. While the older card at school supports 4096x4096 textures.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by DarkZoulz
I have a newer graphics card than those we use at school, and my card only supports 2048x2048 textures. While the older card at school supports 4096x4096 textures.

Without you giving us any more details, I'd hazard a guess that you're running an ATI Radeon, and the school is running Nvidia GeForce's...

It might not be universally true, but as of the last few chipsets I've come across all ATI cards stop at 2048x2048, whereas the Nvidia's stop at 4096x4096. Not sure what the reasoning for this though...

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Quote:Original post by Pxtl
Lossy texture compression and procedural textures are the future.

We are talking about texture dimensions here, not actual texture sizes! DXT compression is supported on almost all cards and already has a constant 8:1 to 4:1 compression ratio. And procedural textures don't come for free as well. They need to be stored in vram just as static textures.
If you use textures as big as 1024x1024, you MUST use DXT / S3TC texture compression if you want to build game worlds with a reasonable number of textures.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement