HEX.HEX.IP to normal IP (irc)

Started by
10 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 2 months ago
On IRC you often see people with addresses like nickname@2C7AAC3.33C09B49.42BDC5BD.IP now search engines apparently can not search for .something, so does anyone here have a clue what their format is? I intend to support it in an ip tool. [Edited by - Nerusai on January 5, 2005 4:33:24 PM]
---Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift and that's why it's called the present.
Advertisement
Hi!

Maybe a look into the IRC rfc helps.

Bye, hunta
well I haven't seen it. Addresses? You mean dns addresses? Its a dns, probally a proxy. that's all
_______________________________ ________ _____ ___ __ _`By offloading cognitive load to the computer, programmers are able to design more elegant systems' - Unununium OS regarding Python
There are no domains with that name, is .ip even valid? It more seemed like an encoded ip/address.
---Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift and that's why it's called the present.
Looks to me like UnrealIRCd's masked IP addresses. I don't know the workings, only that there are three integers used in the process, and that given an ip and those three integers, the output is always the same.
Nerusai: 2C7AAC3.33C09B49.42BDC5BD.IP is just a hostname
Quote:There are no domains with that name, is .ip even valid? It more seemed like an encoded ip/address.

It would of existed @ the time the guy was logged in.
why isn't .ip valid?
encoded? If it was encoded to you then it would of been to the client too. just how do you think the irc server would communicate to him?
_______________________________ ________ _____ ___ __ _`By offloading cognitive load to the computer, programmers are able to design more elegant systems' - Unununium OS regarding Python
It's a so-called 'virtual host'. The server internally knows the correct ip, based on that it makes up a fake host, and whoever asks the server for the user's hostname gets the fake host instead of the real ip.
Quote:Original post by ProPuke
Nerusai: 2C7AAC3.33C09B49.42BDC5BD.IP is just a hostname
Quote:There are no domains with that name, is .ip even valid? It more seemed like an encoded ip/address.

why isn't .ip valid?

Nerusai was saying that .ip is not a valid TLD (Top Level Domain), so blah.blah.ip cannot represent a valid hostname.
I've no idea what it actually is though.
Okay the thought that the server could be lying just hit me after I posted.
But given the fact that it's a server generated hostname what makes you presume it's an encoding & thus reverseable (rather than an encryption)? Surely if the server didn't want to broadcast this info it simply wouldn't. or are you saying it simply encodes it in a hidden way so that other services can decode it & thus they don't actually want users to know?
It still seems abit odd that they would do this. What server we on about here?
I think this is the Unreal IRC daemon, since it exhibits that behaviour.

From the documentation of that server:
Quote:
Cloaking is a way to hide the real hostname of users, for example if your real host is d5142341.cable.wanadoo.nl, it will be shown (in join, part, whois, etc) as rox-2DCA3201.cable.wanadoo.nl. This feature is useful to prevent users flooding each other since they can't see the real host/IP.

Also noted is that if the three keys used in generating the fake host are known, it's possible to reverse the encoding process, and because of that those three keys tend to be kept secret.

Finally, the server only uses the fake host for other clients requesting the host. Internally it uses the real IP for everything.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement