physics in outer space

Started by
26 comments, last by Sharlin 19 years, 3 months ago
I have had thoughts of a space sim with realistic physics, but with various autopilots.

The motion would be as difficult as said in the previous posts, but you can buy many different level autopilots - from the barebone manual thruster control to click-on-the-map-with-best-path-finding, that calculates the required thruster power for you. The autopilot could be damaged and miscalculate in a fight, overriden in an emergency, etc. If the game is a mmog, then maybe even have all the autopilots written in a simple scripting language, so people could design and sell their own.
Advertisement
In real life autopilot simply brings you along a track, or a straight line doesn't it? It wont dodge mountains for you or anything.

Although if we're talking about space sims, I suppose we're also talking about the future;)
Yeah, I mean autopilot is an interesting idea, but I'm trying to keep things simple for now. Plus it's kind of pointless...having autopilot in a combat simulator is like playinf a Nascar game where you have to sit next to the race car driver and having him drive for you. :) I'd rather spend that time on improving the graphics of the simulation or some other aspect.

Since we are already off topic, does anyone know where I can find a few decent 3d models of space craft to use? I posted in the help wanted thread but I'm not getting any hits as of yet :)

Thanks,

-Neko
nekoflux
You could probably have a nav comp, just give it a target, and let it come up with a cource that will take you alongside the object, with the minimum of fuel, or time (user choise).

You also should be able to gimple lock against any object, so that your ship turns in sync with the other ship. It should also be able to point you at any object.

You could also give the nav comp, a target, and let it generate the attack vector, and destroy the ship.

You should also be able to have set and forget missles, nukes naturally. as well as probes, which can give you a vid link with the other ship, without them noticing.

This would get rid of most of the problems with realistic physics.
From,
Nice coder
Click here to patch the mozilla IDN exploit, or click Here then type in Network.enableidn and set its value to false. Restart the browser for the patches to work.
This space/combat simulator is excellent. You can get a lot of good ideas from it, and it's free.
Darn, beaten to it.

Forget piloting a single craft. Of course it's boring and problematic with real physics. Instead, step back a bit and make a game around commanding a fleet of craft in a space battle. With realistic physics.

I think the game would still be fun. (How real were the physics in Homeworld?)
I do appreciate the idea of a 3rd person style "control your starfleet " kind of game, but right now I'm trying to keep it simple...I'd be happy with a simple shooter that is polished and finished before I start trying to improve upon its design. I think for now I'll just keep the unrealstic but fun controls in place, and think about adding realism later (especially if someone actually plays the game and complains :P)

-Neko
nekoflux
If you do it right, a Newtonian flight model certainly is neither boring or problematic, far from it. Just check the I-War games. It's fun as hell! Of course it needs skill, just like anything else, and if you've played more "arcadeish" space flight games before, it's something of a paradigm shift, and requires practice. But once you grok the physics, there's nothing better. All the cool maneuver that you saw on Babylon 5 at your disposal :)

I-War was the first "serious" space combat sim that I played, and perhaps because of that, when I later tried Freespace 2 demo, I never finished even the first mission. The artificially limited flight model was just so damn boring.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement