I got thrown out of a store!

Started by
66 comments, last by klems 19 years, 4 months ago
One time I went up to a kiosk and tried to use it but it was aparently not a kiosk as it was sitting on a display desk and it asked for a password. I'm guessing that it was an employee / management computer. The Username was Sales Manager, and it asked me for a password, so I typed in:

Sales Manager - Denied
sales manager - Denied
Sales manager - Denied
manager - Denied
Sales - Bing Bing Bing we have a winner

In there were shipment orders, employee paychecks, work logs of who came in at what time, and a bunch of other stuff. Who would make there password part of their user name, thats the first thing that people try. So I didn't do anything just looked around for 60 seconds or less then left the computer before someone noticed. Later I looked over and an employee was looking boggled at the screen and then exiting to the Username / Password screen.
_______________________________________________________________________________________He's a real no where man, sitting in his no where land, making all his no where plans for nobody...
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Mithrandir
Quote:Original post by Benjamin Heath
Why didn't you just ask someone?

Haven't been in a retail store lately, I see.

The latest trend in retail is "Fire 90% of the floor associates to temporarily inflate our stock value and jump ship with millions of dollars before the shareholders figure out what's going on".

Customers don't get help anymore, and it's not because we don't try. It's just that the average associate-to-customer ratio has gone from about 1:3 to about 1:20 in the past 2 years.
Well I work at a retail store, but yeah I hear ya. I'm one of the only guys in my store who actually helps customers, and gets them on their way quickly. They know me by name and everything.

edit: It doesn't help when the bosses keep sending everyone home when they really need the help either.
Quote:Original post by trzy
Customers don't get help anymore, and it's not because we don't try. It's just that the average associate-to-customer ratio has gone from about 1:3 to about 1:20 in the past 2 years.

Is that entirely a bad thing? I've always hated stores that have too many salespeople on the floor constantly asking if you need anything. It's very patronizing and annoying. There ought to be only enough people staffed to help those customers which ask for it.

There's a fine line between pestering and helping.

Ever since the massive "downsizing", we've had customers walk off in a hissy on a regular basis (ie: at least 5 times a day in my department), deciding not to buy anything at all.

Our managers literally tell the customers when they complain; "You have to wait in line like everyone else, and if you don't like it, you're free to shop elsewhere. You'll get the same service there."

I swear to god all the retailers are in on it. God bless oligarchopoly's.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
There's a fine line between pestering and helping.

Agreed.

Quote:
Ever since the massive "downsizing", we've had customers walk off in a hissy on a regular basis (ie: at least 5 times a day in my department), deciding not to buy anything at all.

I've never worked in retail so I don't know what it's like, I can only talk about what I've experienced as a customer. I don't think I've noticed a downsizing trend over here where I shop. If anything some stores have become more aggressive with greeters and people on the floor. At one particular clothing shop at the mall the employees almost fight themselves to get at customers!

----Bart
If you don't mind my asking, what company do/did you work for, Mith? What you describe is exactly what's happening at my district of Home Depot. (Supposedly the corporation as a whole, though I wouldn't know a thing about that.)
I usually get greeted and that door and asked if I need help. I answer "yes" and they disappear, or say that they aren't the <insert qualified name> person and I have to wait for them to answer my question. I don't think that person exists. I've left many stores because they can't even tell me if a product is in-stock or not.

I resort to asking my question on Gamedev, buying it online and picking it up in that store. If America could ever reach the potential of Japan's customer service. I asked for directions at a store in Japan and they had one of their employees take me to the place because they were out of stock of maps at the moment.
You see, this is why store assistants are like they are. Being anything other than bland and unhelpful gets you fired. :)
Quote:Original post by Rob Loach
A store clerk in a couch store asked my girlfriend and I to leave for making out on one of their couches. It was pretty funny... And somewhat ackward.

Getting kicked out for opening up the Windows Help is more entertaining though.

Bad business decision on the couch store's part. I would've paid you to sit there all day and make out, then set up a sign -- "Buy our couches, get some action".

Quote:Original post by Programmer One
I await this manager's ass on a golden platter.

Amen, brother. Stick it to the man!
- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}
Usaally at RadioShack they have good intentions, but they fail miserably to find me what I need, even if they DO have the product I am looking for.
As for other stores, they are usually helpful when you ask them for help, or at least they do try their best. Of course, I am talking about the shops in my area, I have no idea how it is in other parts of the US.
Quote:Original post by Benjamin Heath
If you don't mind my asking, what company do/did you work for, Mith? What you describe is exactly what's happening at my district of Home Depot. (Supposedly the corporation as a whole, though I wouldn't know a thing about that.)

JCPenneys
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement