I got thrown out of a store!

Started by
66 comments, last by klems 19 years, 3 months ago
Quote:Original post by wendigo23
How would all of you young punks like it if someone came into your room/office and started using your computer in a way that you don't want them to use it? Probably kick 'em out I guess... or some people might decide to shoot on sight, no questions asked.

If for some reason my office computer would be DESIGNED for PUBLIC USE, then I would take the necesary steps so the customers won't be able to hax0r it. And don't tell me that the sale managers don't know how to protect their computers. it's not their job to do that. They should hire someone who makes a program that can't be hax0red by pressign F1 and such.
Advertisement
You know what I figure? People like us who know computers also have some understanding of how these kiosks work: in other words, that they are designed so that nobody can tamper with them. Yes, once in a while, a way is found to mess with them, but generally that's how they're supposed to work. Now this sales guy is totally ignorant about this stuff, and he's read in the newspaper about these "h@x0rs" and he figures anyone below the age of 30 could just walk in his store and "hack the Gibson." He isn't aware that anyone designing such a kiosk would design it to be as untamperable as possible. He lives in constant fear.

Does that make some sense?
“[The clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man” - Thomas Jefferson
Quote:Original post by wendigo23
How would all of you young punks like it if someone came into your room/office and started using your computer in a way that you don't want them to use it? Probably kick 'em out I guess... or some people might decide to shoot on sight, no questions asked.

Maybe you should read the thread next time so you avoid saying stupid things.
lol
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
One time at school I was in the science labs looking at a computer in an open cupboard (and by looking, I mean looking and not touching). The science teacher went nuts. He shouted about how it was people like me who meant the technicians have to be in every 5 minutes and why the computers are always broken. Its amazing what people assume you are capable of, just because you exhibit a little curiosity or technical expertise.

The thing is, he was a really nice guy. So I can't put it down to him just trying to make my life difficult. I think he was genuinely scared of something he didn't understand. Its probably the same in your case.
the rug - funpowered.com
Well that sucks.

Mith, your rating is 1337.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
Completely off topic, but I remember the time I was fiddling with win.ini in highschool, trying to up the resolution/colours from the god awful 640x480/256 they had it locked in... and it worked... what I didn't realize at the time, is all the computers booted off the same network drive, and most of the computers in the school weren't capable of going above that... oops
Quote:Original post by nuvem
Completely off topic, but I remember the time I was fiddling with win.ini in highschool, trying to up the resolution/colours from the god awful 640x480/256 they had it locked in... and it worked... what I didn't realize at the time, is all the computers booted off the same network drive, and most of the computers in the school weren't capable of going above that... oops
I've done something similar, though it only affected a single computer. You'd be amazed to see what Windows 98 with the "high contrast, extra large" color/size settings in resolution 640x480 looks like. I sure was. [grin]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement