which is better?

Started by
1 comment, last by PurpleAmethyst 19 years, 3 months ago
which language is best used when creating application for SYMBIAN phones? java(j2me) or its counter part C++ pls enumerate the advantage and disadvantages of both worlds
Advertisement
Symbian C++ ultimately is the better technology for games, which allows faster applications, lower level development (more control), control over the format of your applications and data, ability to load and write to files, multichannnel sound and much more.

However Java does have the greater market share, in the sense that it's a lot more widely accessible to the market. I know we're just talking about symbian phones here, but java games can be ported to most handsets on the market today. This gives access to a much wider market, (although the smartphone market does seem to be rapidly catching up). Futhermore, the major distributers seem to favour java applications over symbian ones, and in fact most of them don't widely distribute Symbian applications at the moment.

The Symbian market however is a lot less saturated than the Java market.

It depends what you want really...

If you can think of a original game, which you think will sell well, and can run on low system resources (i.e. doesn't require much processing power), it's probably best to develop it in Java.

If on the other hand you want to develop a top game of gameboy, or even almost PS1 quality, it's probably best to develop it in Symbian C++. You never know, it may end up on the shelves as a full blown N-Gage game :)!

J2ME Advantages

1. Easier than Symbian (C++).
2. Somewhat compatible with other J2ME phones, not nesacarily Symbian.
3. Loads of documentation.

J2ME Disadvatges

1. Can be slowish.
2. Many annyoying quirks (Memory mgt, Speed Trick, Size of files).
3. Emulators are not realistic to phone performance.

Symbian Advantages (I have very little experience with Symbian ATM)

1. Allows full use of phones CPU power.
2. More versitile than J2ME.

Symbian Diadvantages
1. SDK can be tricky to set up.
2. Emulator is crap becasue it is only a simualator.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement