Using BM_SETIMAGE (button control send message)

Started by
16 comments, last by joeremes 19 years, 3 months ago
Quote:Original post by kingnosis
It looks to me like your problem is scope. You create hWndButton inside of the WM_CREATE case, so as soon as the windows procedure exits, your handle to the button is destroyed.

I believe that windows (such as buttons) get detroyed automatically, without you having to call a release function.

I'd say try making your button global, or static inside the WndProc.

kingnosis

Hi kingnosis.

These are only handles. Handles are not objects, therefore they don't have a destructor which is called when you go out of scope. A handle is 'destroyed' when
1) you DestroyWindow() it
2) you DestroyWindow() one of its ancestor.

@d1sc0rd:

a)the first BM_SETIMAGE was already working - the NULL return was correct, since it returns the previous associated bitmap handle. Since you just created the button, tyhere was no associated bitmap, hence the NULL return. You don't have to call it twice - just discard the NULL check. If you want to verify that your bitmap had been set by your SendMessage() call then you can issue another SendMessage() with BM_GETIMAGE. This will return you the handle of the current button bitmap.

Quote:Original post by d1sc0rd
I tried checking the return from the BM_GETSTATE as well. It should be returning 0 I think, which would be different from null, right?

b) #define NULL 0
So I guess that 0 and NULL should be the same :)

c) take care about your WM_CREATE handling. The MSDN states:
Quote:WM_CREATE return code
If an application processes this message, it should return zero to continue creation of the window. If the application returns –1, the window is destroyed and the CreateWindowEx or CreateWindow function returns a NULL handle.

d) I see nothing wrong with your code. Are you sure you see the button and no bitmap on it? Are you sure IDB_RIGHT_ARROW is correct? Can you try with a system bitmap (hBmp = LoadBitmap(NULL, MAKEINTRESOURCE(OBM_CHECK)); or hBmp = LoadBitmap(NULL, OBM_CHECK);, I don't remember which one is teh win).
Advertisement
Well I'm utterly frustrated. A couple things.

1) I'm fairly sure the bitmap is loaded properly. Reason I'm saying this is because I am able to display it in the wm_paint. However, I tried using MAKEINTRESOURCE(OBM_CHECK). So now I'm not using my own resource. The check is blitted from the WM_PAINT message, but again does not appear on the button.

I'm at a loss here. Windowz > d1sc0rd
It'll work if you send BM_SETIMAGE outside your WM_CREATE handler (try putting it in a WM_SHOWWINDOW handler). Why exactly that is, I'm not sure.

BTW, minor comment: don't do #include ".\resource.h". This attempts to escape the r character. Do one of the following:
#include "resource.h"
#include "./resource.h"
#include ".\\resource.h"
Never use a single backslash in a path name.

[Edited by - Kippesoep on January 20, 2005 4:55:10 AM]
Kippesoep
I just moved it out into the WM_SHOWWINDOW case. Still no bitmap.
OK I have found the problem, but I don't understand why it is a problem.
If I do not select the bitmap into the DC in WM_PAINT, the bitmap now appears on the button. Why can the bitmap not be selected into both?
Quote:Original post by Kippesoep
It'll work if you send BM_SETIMAGE outside your WM_CREATE handler (try putting it in a WM_SHOWWINDOW handler). Why exactly that is, I'm not sure.

BTW, minor comment: don't do #include ".\resource.h". This attempts to escape the r character. Do one of the following:
#include "resource.h"
#include "./resource.h"
#include ".\\resource.h"
Never use a single slash in a path name.

Side note: you can include "a\b\c.h" - this is processed by the precompiler, not the compiler itself, and you don't need to double your '\'. But this will probably don't work on non-Windows systems. As a consequence, I agree with Kippesoep and I believe it is better to avoid '\' in included file path.

Quote:Original post by d1sc0rd
OK I have found the problem, but I don't understand why it is a problem.
If I do not select the bitmap into the DC in WM_PAINT, the bitmap now appears on the button. Why can the bitmap not be selected into both?

Maybe this has something to do with your WM_PAINT handling. The msdn says that it should return 0 if you processed the message or non zero if you didin't processed it. You may try to return 1 at the end of your WM_PAINT handler. I'm not sure this will do what you want to do - and maybe you'll have some other problems.

Regards,
I had the same problem and found a solution.
The call to CreateWindow does not return until that thread has passed through your winproc WM_CREATE code. The bitmap has not been created yet at that point. (At least that was the case in my code.) That is why it worked when the BM_SETIMAGE message was moved to the WM_SHOWWINDOW code. As soon as I realized this it all fell into place. I was able to use the same bitmap in multiple buttons and to BitBlt onto the client window (for testing) during WM_PAINT processing. I hope this helps.

joe.remes@dbcsoftware.com
Addendum to the above (I just registered). The call to CreateWindow that I referred to is not the one making the button but the call to make the main window, usually found in WINMAIN.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement