Professional Source Code

Started by
44 comments, last by hplus0603 19 years, 2 months ago
Quake2 (and quake) aren't that old that C++ wasn't an option. They just decided to do it that way. I'm sure MSVC++6 was out by then (could be mistaken though).
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by d000hg
Quake2 (and quake) aren't that old that C++ wasn't an option. They just decided to do it that way. I'm sure MSVC++6 was out by then (could be mistaken though).

Given that their project files were VC6, and given the overall time frame, it's reasonable to believe that the original quake was in the VC4/VC5 era, when C++ was still pretty questionable, but by the time Q2's development happened, VC6 was available. In any case, the reason they used C was a personal preference on JC's part -- or that's what the story normally is, anyway.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
A lot of people assume on this site that game developers are some kind of programming gods, who write faultless code, far superiour to their own, and its something to asspire to. While the asperation is fine (and should be supported), game developers are just normal programmers, who get given money to do what most people here do for free.

I write commercial games, and I write games at home... The code at home is the same as at work. Sometimes lovely, clean efficient code, sometimes dirty hacks to get the job done. The only difference being that at home, I can take time out, re-write stuff at my lesure to make it better. So does that make my home code better than my work code? Sometimes, sometimes not. It all depends on the situation, what I'm writting, how I feel that day.

The stuff shown on NeHe is of course used by pro developers, why wouldnt it be. Even games from Capcom have to draw poly's and that involves calls to DrawPrim or whatever API they use... Just like in the NeHe code.

Aspire all you want to write better, more efficent, more advanced code. Its the best way to improve, and maybe produce work that will get you into one of these dev houses you idolise. Then maybe you can see that the code they write is not better than what you write.

Sorry for the spelling if there are any... Im in a rush :)

Spree

Ps. That said, there are gurus out there (and i have worked with some) that write code that does things you can only imagine... But some of that code is hacked more than most...
Quote:Original post by Promit
Given that their project files were VC6, and given the overall time frame, it's reasonable to believe that the original quake was in the VC4/VC5 era, when C++ was still pretty questionable...
What, exactly, have you been smoking? I remember the old Symantec 7.x and Watcom 10.x compilers - oh, man, did I want that Watcom compiler, which came with DOS4GW - that way predated VC++4. Hell, my first C++ compiler was VC++1.52, as I've said many times before. C++ wasn't "questionable" by then.

Unless you have a completely different interpretation of the term "questionable" than I do.
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Quote:Original post by Promit
Given that their project files were VC6, and given the overall time frame, it's reasonable to believe that the original quake was in the VC4/VC5 era, when C++ was still pretty questionable...
What, exactly, have you been smoking? I remember the old Symantec 7.x and Watcom 10.x compilers - oh, man, did I want that Watcom compiler, which came with DOS4GW - that way predated VC++4. Hell, my first C++ compiler was VC++1.52, as I've said many times before. C++ wasn't "questionable" by then.

Unless you have a completely different interpretation of the term "questionable" than I do.

Ok, perhaps a bad choice of word. C++ wasn't standardized, nor was it especially stable/consistent, afaik. Maybe I'm wrong.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
The difference between a professional and an amateur is that the professional gets paid.

The difference between good and bad code is two things: experience of the programmers on the team, and attitude of management on the team.

City of Heroes was writtien in C (not C++) and was shipped more or less on time and on budget, and had the fewest post-launch problems of any MMO I can recall.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement