3D Programming

Started by
7 comments, last by v0dKA 19 years, 1 month ago
Hey all, im 16 and been programming in Java for around 3 years. Where is a good place to start if i want to make a 3D game, ive just finnished my top down view game, lol i know im getting ahead of myself but id love to make it 3D :P Any good tutorials, or what do i need to learn?
Advertisement
Hey,

First look at NeHe for OpenGL information and tutorials, NeXe for DirectX information and tutorials. Also, taak a look at various engines such as Ogre 3D, Crystal Space, and the commercial (but cheap) engine Torque.

Good luck,
Sijmen Mulder
Thx champ ill get started on that :) So do i still make the game in Java, or is it all OpenGL for example?
java + opengl

your call
Quote:Original post by Squirm
java + opengl

your call

You're a little behind the times, no-one used Magician any more. Try the much more current LWJGL (check the forums and website for quick start info).
You could make a pretty complete 3D game with the torque demo engine. Learning curve is pretty steep.
Well C++ is always there for 3D with it's low-level access to various things....

Well if you want to do a 3D game in java, best of luck, but if you have no idea as to what 3D does then you are in trouble .....

Here's a link you should find very useful.It contains stuff on 3D basics(General) and also on OpenGL(using C++ though)

http://www.falloutsoftware.com/

Helps?
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
[AirBash.com]
actually,I think there is a java 3d library or some sort,if you dont wanna learn opengl.
Quote:Original post by jimywang
actually,I think there is a java 3d library or some sort,if you dont wanna learn opengl.

Yup. It's called Java3D. I've never used it before, I've only heard of it. You could also try googling it for additional information, tutorials, and such.

However, if your goal is to make a full featured 3D game, then you might want to join the big boys and learn some C++.
.:<<-v0d[KA]->>:.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement