Proper container class...

Started by
6 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 1 month ago
I need a container that has the speed of a map, but works like a vector in terms of the fact that it just stores stuff sequentially. However, it doesn't need to have random access - it works like a map in regards to retrieval of data, but I need to be able to say something like container.push_back(thisitem); But I DONT need thatitem = thiscontainer[12]; Thanks!
my siteGenius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration
Advertisement
Stores stuff sequentially? In that it stores them in contiguous memory?

Why not use a sorted std::vector? You can then use std::lower_bound, std::upper_bound and std::equal_range to search for elements.
So in what way will you be accessing elements of the container?
I think he's talking "hash table" aka "hash map", which is usually linear-time insertion, and constant-time lookup, with linear-time "expansions" on fill-up.

I don't have one handy. Which language, anyway? C++? Java?
RIP GameDev.net: launched 2 unusably-broken forum engines in as many years, and now has ceased operating as a forum at all, happy to remain naught but an advertising platform with an attached social media presense, headed by a staff who by their own admission have no idea what their userbase wants or expects.Here's to the good times; shame they exist in the past.
This sounds like an instance where combining two containers is appropriate:

template < typename KeyT , typename ValueT >class keyed_sequence{    std::vector< ValueT > data; //or std::list or std::deque    std::map< KeyT , std::vector< ValueT >::iterator > lookup;public:    //...};
Quote:Original post by MaulingMonkey

template
class keyed_sequence
{
std::vector data; //or std::list or std::deque
std::map lookup;
public:
//...
};

However... maybe it's even better to make the map a std::map::size_type>... since vector iterators are invalidated on changing the vector...
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

template
class keyed_sequence
{
public:
//...
};

However... maybe it's even better to make the map a std::map::size_type>... since vector iterators are invalidated on changing the vector...

Durrrr! You have a point :). Edit: since it appears your text got garbaged up by the HTML removal, I'll put what I believe your points is:

For a vector (or deque), you'd want to use:

std::map< KeyT , std::vector< ValueT >::size_type > lookup;

You'd still want to use the iterator if you had a std::list however.

[Edited by - MaulingMonkey on March 10, 2005 3:36:06 AM]

template
class keyed_sequence
{
public:
//...
};

If the OP is satisfied with having sequential access rather than random-access (roughly speaking, if data was a list rather than a vector), then the Boost Multi-index Containers library can be used to build such kind of containers. See for instance

http://boost.org/libs/multi_index/doc/tutorial.html#list_fast_lookup

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement