Zelda OoT Style Sky Rendering

Started by
2 comments, last by choffstein 19 years, 1 month ago
So I have put in my first skybox, yada yada, real easy. So I decided to go get some inspiration and played some Zelda: OoT. I realized that while the sky might not be complicated, I would be extremely happy if I got my sky to look like that. Can anyone point me in the right direction? It looks like a sky dome with a procedurally generated (perlin noise perhaps) cloud texture that changes color based on time of day. The son and moon look like billboarded sprites that travel the night sky...across the top of the dome. Here are some quick pictures: Sorry that was so long winded, but I am finally getting to my question! I can create a sky dome, I can billboard the sun and the moon...but I cant figure out for the life of me how I would procedurally color the cloud textures. Getting the clouds to move, etc would be easy...but how would I change the color? Would I use some sort of blending technique? Also, how could I implement something like a camera flare for when you look at the sun? I suppose I could "wash" the scene white and draw some sprites that look like camera flares... Thanks!
Advertisement
A very basic approach: use two skydomes (i.e. layers). First draw the outer skydome as a solid color, which you setup from in code depending on the time of day. Then, draw the inner skydome with alpha-channeled clouds. Once you've got that going, you can experiment with animating the cloud layer.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Here is a massive thread, prominently featuring YannL. He implemented a Perlin-noised based solution (with a skydome), so it should be pertinent to you [smile].

On the topic of lens flares, here is a really short, easy-to-follow tutorial on lens flares. Here is another one that looks a bit better. Lens flares may not be realistic, but I think they look pretty cool.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Edit: apparently this didn't get my message (Didn't double check) IS that second image the official Zelda game or is it something else? It looks a bit blocky to be on the nintendo 64 (might be on an Emu but I don't know)

Just wondering because I'm a zelda Fanatic

[Edited by - kinglink on March 9, 2005 1:11:12 PM]
Ah, thanks a lot guys. Great advice. Ill try those out.

kinglink: its a japanese 'alpha' version. an early screenshot before OoT came out.

Thanks again!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement