Programmable mini-devices?

Started by
8 comments, last by jake2431 19 years, 1 month ago
what devices can be programmed on the move? cheaper is better. Do they all run java? Would I get something that will let me do simple console C (don't mind java still) with printfs .etc?
Advertisement
I'm not sure what you mean, but if you're talking about a PDA, the Sharp Zaurus would probably work well. They're not too expensive either, as they are a tad bit old, but still, my favorite PDA.

Cheers,
Ryanmfw
wait... so if ive got a pda running embedded linux, I can run g++? Would it have STL even? I think ill have to buy it if ebay as £400-500 is a bit much for me (£100-200 is my price range). Thanks.
Well, you could run g++, though STL might be too big. If you get one of the newer Zauruses(6000?), they have twice the memory, 64mb, which should be enough. They also have Java built in.

Cheers,
Ryan
i have been looking at the specs, and under support all i've found so far is compatibility for all windows. As they run Linux i would have thought they'd be linux compatible. Is this true? Also do they all have built in keyboards? Is it easy enough, creating java apps on the zaurus? Does it have anything like a console? Thanks for your time.

EDIT: I just got excited

Does anyone know of any C/C++ compilers for windows ce. I have searched before, but was unable to find any. I have a iPaq 3900 series PDA. Thanks

-Jake
PocketC and a GCC port for PocketPC devices. Google them.
It's compatible with windows as far as connecting it to a Windows computer is concerned. It does have a built in keyboard too, although any keyboard that small is difficult to use. I don't know if you can just type in Java applications and just run it, I actually doubt it, but there might be programs that let you do so.

Note, there was a C compiler for the Palm, and that was a 16 mhz processor. :)
It's certainly tricky doing any programming on J2ME.

J2ME doesn't allow you to load dynamic classes, etc.

You *COULD* make an application which uploads Java source code to a server via HTTP, the server automatically compiles it and then you load the MIDlet back down via OTA.

Unfortunately it could prove an expensive method in terms of data transfer tariff.

Mark
Okay, thanks. I googled PocketC and found it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement