what Language to learn first,

Started by
44 comments, last by Luckless 19 years ago
What Language should I learn first before c++ or c? Or should I go derict to c\c++? Dose basic teach bad programing habits? Thanks, jon2
Advertisement
go with c\c++

it lets you program with high level and low level,
when you want to.

if you get c than most other langs will be trivial
to pick up.
the mountains quake, and a little mouse pops out
i learned quite a bit c/c++ yet without problems (i learned c++ and then searched for the differences to c ;) ), only having codet a bit basic before, so if that was your question i would direct start with c++.

about basic, i think things like goto are a bit more popular in basic than they are in c++, but i dont think that its that serious (just try to keep goto out of your code [wink])
thanks thats what I wanted.

Thanks, Jon2
I would recomend against C++ being your first language. It can be rather complex and you have to worry about low-level considerations such as memory management. Python would probably be a better choice.
would Qbasic be good

Thanks, Jon
I also do recommend python over both C and C++. Learning how to program involves much more than simply learning a programming language, so you really want to pick one that makes things simpler for you.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
I would say that any language that keeps you programming is good, try some of the suggestions here and stick to what works. I would suggest something other than C/C++ though. Good luck!
I'd go with C, that was my first language. If your looking for a good book to learn it from I'd go with C for Dummies by Dan Gookin, that was my first programming book and I found it to be a good read.
Thanks, Jon

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement