Bizzare Floating Point Error

Started by
2 comments, last by DukeAtreides076 19 years ago
I appear to be getting some seriously strange results out of some straightforward double precision math in my program. Consider the following code... double val1 = 12345.12345; double val2 = 12345.12345; result = val1 * val2; My development computer produces the correct answer, 152402072.9957 but... My testing computer program produces the wrong answer, 152402080.0000 Further testing shows that the test computer is doing some strange truncation or rounding when computing the answer to large precision double values. It only seems to be doing this in one program. I wrote a small console app and the same math comes out correctly. I have never seen this behavior before. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? The development computer is a Dell P4 2.3 Ghz with Win 2000. The testing machine is a Dell P4 3 Ghz with Win 2000. All machines have Dev Studio 2003.
Advertisement
Are you running the same binary on both machines? Different compiler options can give you slightly different results (which magnify as you continue to use them).

7-place accuracy is about as good as you're going to get with floating point math anyway. If you're not already familiar with the problems inherent in floating point then Google for "What Every
Computer Scientist Should Know About Floating-Point Arithmetic".

You should figure out exactly where this difference is coming from for your own piece of mind, but also realize that neither answer is necessarily wrong.
-Mike
Yup, running the same binary on both machines and I get different results, so I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with compiler options. I'm using doubles, not floats, and I'm familiar with the precision limits. I'm definately getting wrong answers from some basic arithmatic operations.
It looks like the internal floating point precision is different on your testing computer.

Heres what I get on my PC by varying the FPU precision:

24 bit single precision:

53 bit double precision:

64 bit double extended precision:

It looks like you need to set the interal FPU precision to either 53 or 64 bits to get what you want. You can do this with the FLDCW instruction.

// 53 bit precision	unsigned short precision=0;	__asm		FSTCW precision;	precision &= 0xFCFF;	precision |= 0x0200;	__asm		FLDCW precision;	/////////////////////////////////////////////	// 64 bit precision	unsigned short precision=0;	__asm		FSTCW precision;	precision &= 0xFCFF;	precision |= 0x0300;	__asm		FLDCW precision;

You should probably restore the original precision when you are done.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement