Trig problem

Started by
6 comments, last by grhodes_at_work 19 years ago
My trig skills suck :) So i thought id ask here I have a point that sits at (6,4) and i need to move it 3.628 in the direction of 290.557 degrees. I have some idea how to do it but just can remember the steps properly any help would be cool :)
Advertisement
I sure hope this isn't homework.

Anyway...
(6,4)+(3.628*cos(290.557),3.628*sin(290.557))=(x, y)

(6,4) is your starting point, your draw a trigonometric circle around it, find the point in the circle for 290º and take note of the sin and cos for that value, now the distance from (6,4) to that point is exactly 1, all you have to do is multiply then the sin and cos by 3.6 to get the distance, and add it to the original distance.
that dosnt look quite right isnt the sin ment to be -sin?
sin of 290 _is_ negative, if i put a minus behind the sin, the sin result would be negative, the '-' would change it back to positive and that would be wrong.

Why? 290º is an angle that in the trignometric circle points down(and a bit forward), in the negative direction of the y axis, a point moving in that direction will have successive lower values of y.
no,he is correct for going in clockwise direction.
And right now are 3:50 if the clock is counter clockwise.
It is for homework but due to certain relationship problems my mind hasnt been on my uni work enough

point A is at (1, 1)
point B is at (4, 9)
and point C ia at (6, 4)
point Q is some where on the line AB

Have to find the shortest distance from point C to point Q
so AB is perpendicular to CQ

ive figured out the shortast distance between C and Q is 3.628

and now i need to figure out the coord of point Q
Thread closed. Homework violates the forum policy, which you can read about here:

Forum FAQ

Please visit a dedicated homework site if you need help with homework.

Math Help
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement