ANN: D3D Movie "The Triangle Build Up Of An F1 Car"

Started by
22 comments, last by Tape_Worm 18 years, 10 months ago
Quote:Original post by hannibal84
I love what you've done. It would go great with supporting text or (even better) a voice-over.

From a design point of view, this is what I would want. However, I don't hav a decent microphone and/or voice talents [wink]

Quote:Original post by hannibal84
I actually ran across a site where someone was making DirectX tutorial videos, but I don't remember the link.

If you think of the name/url then send me a PM (or post here). I'd like to see that site.

Quote:Original post by Nizro
That's actually a pretty cool idea. Especially beginners should get some sort of insigt in how the process works, and where you can gain performance

I haven't been thinking of it in terms of performance.

To be brutally honest to the beginners here (and on other forums I frequent!) I see a lot of very similar questions. Ones that I've answered a lot of times, ones that are referenced in the Forum FAQ. However, a lot of them only make sense when you've made the mistake and corrected it yourself.

The idea consequently is that if I show people, as a movie, what went wrong and what fixed it. Or, changing X affects Y hence you get Z - watch my movie and you'll see how and why this is the case.

The feedback is appreciated [smile]

Cheers,
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Advertisement
Quote:I haven't been thinking of it in terms of performance.

What I was trying to say, was that the progressive 'build-up' shows how the stuff is dealt with (vertices being passed, linked and then shaded...). The numbers shown during the process gave me some kind of idea of where a lot of work is done, and where you might hit it to speed up.
Quote:Original post by Nizro
Quote:I haven't been thinking of it in terms of performance.

What I was trying to say, was that the progressive 'build-up' shows how the stuff is dealt with (vertices being passed, linked and then shaded...). The numbers shown during the process gave me some kind of idea of where a lot of work is done, and where you might hit it to speed up.

Okay, I understand [smile]

Although, remember:
Quote:(1) In actually rendering a mesh, D3D doesn't do the first two phases of drawing the dots and connecting them up [smile]. I've put that in to show the progression of how the data contained in a mesh fits together to build the final product.

As an aside, one of things I've contemplated was showing some heirachical culling algorithms (e.g. QuadTree) working from a "non camera" point of view... that would probably give a good idea of how/why culling is a good idea.

Jack

Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

This would be a very useful thing to show my first year games programming students - is there going to be a fixed home for it?
------------------------See my games programming site at: www.toymaker.info
Quote:Original post by Trip99
This would be a very useful thing to show my first year games programming students - is there going to be a fixed home for it?

I currently have no plans to delete and/or move the file. It's occupying ~50% of my GDNet+ webspace; I suppose if I really needed to use that space for something else I might look for some different hosting (I've had a few generous offers)..

You're more than welcome to keep a copy of the archive on your own website / server for your university course.

Also, if you're wanting to use it for your university course (very cool idea! [smile]) I could sort out a better quality copy. I was constrained by the limits of server space (and download times), but the original (high quality, uncompressed) that I was working from is over 300mb [grin].

Thanks for your interest in my video!
Jack

Great work mate... To get around the AVI size problem why not make this into an application? You script the building of the car and the voice overs, you could have Stop/Play/Rewind etc etc. Also, I don't know if you fancy taking this any further but I have a small recording studio so if you fancy trying out some voice work PM me and I'll do it for free. Don't know who will do the voice over though, I sound a bit Northern!

Eee By Gum, it's a vertex...!

Mark Coleman
Quote:Original post by mrmrcoleman
Great work mate...

To get around the AVI size problem why not make this into an application? You script the building of the car and the voice overs, you could have Stop/Play/Rewind etc etc.

That would be a good way of reducing size, but one of the reasons behind it being a video file is to get around any issues with hardware/driver support.

It doesn't hold for this particular video, but if I were to take it any further and use particular feature(s) such as SM2/SM3 shaders it could cause problems. Then again, I suppose most features worth covering will probably be fairly well supported [oh]

Also, I don't know if you fancy taking this any further but I have a small recording studio so if you fancy trying out some voice work PM me and I'll do it for free. Don't know who will do the voice over though, I sound a bit Northern!

Eee By Gum, it's a vertex...!

[lol] Thanks for the offer - greatly appreciated [smile]. I have no plans to make another video in the immediate future (next month or so), but I think I will give it another go soon. I've got a few ideas though..

It would be great to have a voice over explaining whats on-screen, it would add a lot of value to it.

Cheers,
Jack

Jolly - if you do do another version then great, otherwise I can use this one. Our semester is just finishing anyway so I would not use it until the end of summer. Thanks.
------------------------See my games programming site at: www.toymaker.info
Quote:Original post by Trip99
Jolly - if you do do another version then great, otherwise I can use this one. Our semester is just finishing anyway so I would not use it until the end of summer. Thanks.

Found out this morning that another university has recently used that video for their graphics course [oh]

Anyway, if you want to PM me any ideas of how you'd want to get your hands on a higher resolution / uncompressed version that'd be great... I don't have any webspace to even temporarily store a file that big [grin]

Jack

What a cool video! How did you get the gradual rendering accomplished? I suppose you could just keep increasing the rendering buffer counts? But to have them render in that specific order was really cool.

Funny how I've never seen this until now. Shame on me for ignoring stickies [smile]

Good work!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement