Engine

Started by
0 comments, last by SumDude 18 years, 11 months ago
Hello, what makes a 2D engine a 2D engine? What I mean by that is what does it have to do. I'm thinking it has to have a particle system, sound system, rendering system, etc. What connects all these things together? Also, what is the difference between simply a bunch of wrapper functions from a engine?
Advertisement
Render 2D Images (bitmaps, targa, etc..)

A wrapper is a class interface to an API usually (like OpenGL).

A wrapper is usually much more thin than an Engine. An engine usually consists of more helpful things rather than just a layer around an API. A wrapper could be a class interface to OpenGL Functions and an Engine would be able to load images, store them correctly and display them when needed, do the proper timing, hold the images in an array or linked list, load the images at the start of a map.

EDIT: what all connects these together is usually what you discuss in the planning stage of developing an engine. You go through the relations of each component of the engine and how they effect each other.

Example: for a a CWorld class you would need to display or manage the enemies and the player in the world so it is safe to assume that CWorld will somewhat manage the entities or at least their positions.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Looking for video game music? Check out some of my samples at http://www.youtube.c...ser/cminortunes            

I'm currently looking to create music for a project, if you are interested e-mail me at cminortunes@gmail.com    

Please only message me for hobby projects, I am not looking to create music for anything serious.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement