Ok, lets talk Episode III *SPOILER WARNING!*

Started by
224 comments, last by Sagar_Indurkhya 18 years, 11 months ago
Quote:Original post by mlambert
We were supposed to see the emperor be almighty, yet couldn't beat Mace or Yoda, couldn't even have decent fights with them.
The Emperor threw the fight against Mace. He probably sensed Anakin comming and threw the fight to pull him towards the Dark Side.
Quote:The new three plain reaked of someone trying to recapture the magic that had long gone.
I disagree.

The first movies sucked for the most part. They have a few rememberable scenes, but there's a lot of filler and puppets. The nostalgia keeps the movies from reeking of old age and simplistic plots. I believe once we've worn in the new Star Wars, audiances will accept the boyhood hero who can do no wrong, the Macgyver-esque Obi-Wan and the flashy fight scenes that most viewers have failed, at least in part, to accept on the first few viewings.
Advertisement
Original post by Binomine
...The first movies sucked for the most part. .../quote]

You die, you die and go to hell.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
OK, I'd say everyone I know (even people who've never seen any starwars movie before) enjoyed the Return of the Sith. The battels were awesome, the effects brilliant (apart from some specific places), while the storyline and the acting (except for Christensen) was better than the previous' movie.

There is only one thing that made absolutely no sense: There is a scene in the final battle between Obi Wan and Anakin just before they push each other away and smash the computers(*), where you see Anakin grab Obi Wan's lightsaber-arm and push his own - shut - lightsaber in his opponents neck. I may be mistaken (though I've seen the movie twice), but if I'm not then this makes no sense: Anakin has a chance to kill his opponent - in fact he has effectively defeated him - yet he does not activate the saber. Is this compassion (ie. he can't kill his former mentor and friend, as Obi Wan can't kill Anakin in the end)?

(*) The actual sequence is (if I recall correctly):
a) the 'weird' scene I'm talking about ->
b) Fight between Yoda and the Emperor ->
c) Obi Wan kicks Anakin in the butt and the fighting resumes ->
d) they push each other away ->
e) Anakin rushes to Obi Wan and hits the computer lowering the shields.

[OpenTK: C# OpenGL 4.4, OpenGL ES 3.0 and OpenAL 1.1. Now with Linux/KMS support!]

Quote:Original post by sanguineraven
Quote:Original post by MasterWorks
Good movie, but I was disappointed with the whole new trilogy for one reason:

Where are the TIE fighters/bombers/interceptors, Star Destroyers, frigates, calamari cruisers, X/Y/A/B wings, AT-(AT/ST)s, etc? (I know there are a few things with close resemblence, but its just not the same.)

The awesome machinery is what got me hooked on the originals and for the most part these movies have totally different machines with less character. As if they were changed just for the sake of changing things. Presumably only 20 or so years pass between EP3 and EP4... and the galaxy has entirely new starfleets??

Yes. Yes they do. Think about it, in those 20 years a lot happens, what with the foundation of the empire and all. The blockade runner is unchanged, you still had ships like the YT1300s. Few resemblances? The cockpit from most of the TIEs is pretty much identical to that of the fighters ObiWan and Anakin fly at the start, aswell as the shape. The star destroyers are pretty close too.

But with the empire, and then the breakoff of the rebel alliance, of course ships are going to change.

Although I do agree that the machinery is really part of what was interesting when I first saw Star Wars, and as hard as they try, they havn't created anything with a real character like the original (in the same way it was annoying they just had Grievous wielding 4 lightsabers, two of which were barely used, hardly creative.

I absolutely totally agree with this. I thought the technology shown in Ep3 was great. If you compare it with the technology in Ep1 and Ep2, I felt there was a great sense of change in the direction of that of Ep4. You can see all the vehicles and spacecraft changing to those of the Ep4 over the time of the three new episodes.
Quote:Original post by Binomine
The first movies sucked for the most part. They have a few rememberable scenes, but there's a lot of filler and puppets. The nostalgia keeps the movies from reeking of old age and simplistic plots. I believe once we've worn in the new Star Wars, audiances will accept the boyhood hero who can do no wrong, the Macgyver-esque Obi-Wan and the flashy fight scenes that most viewers have failed, at least in part, to accept on the first few viewings.

Yeah, they sucked so bad they created a huge fan base ...

As movies go, the first two are the best of the lot. They tell stories that stand on their own. The first one creates an atmosphere that the others don't. The second is quite dark and menacing and features some rather stunning visuals that even look good on a 15" television. This latest movie had tremendous potential but was too rushed. It was like wolfing down a meal rather than savoring it. Lucas began his film career wanted to make art films. He should have stuck to it with Sith. He probably could have learned a few things from Othello as well.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Quote:Original post by daviangel
Quote:Original post by LessBread
There were a half dozens flashes of brilliance and a gazillion flashes of light saber hogging the screen. The movie felt burdened by obligations and edited for time. There were no memorable lines to give the film it's own cultural impact. I liked the job Natalie Portman did. I don't see how Anakin went from wanting to save her to wanting to rule the galaxy with her. That seemed contrived.

How so ?
Actually if you remember previous episode where he was protecting her on naboo he mentioned that he thought they should get rid of all politicians or something to that effect and natalie got all mad and said he must be kidding and he said "yeah" but had an evil look when he said it. Like he was just agreeing with her since he was hitting on her.
All since the beginning of episode 2 anakin's been nothing but a spoiled brat:
"obiwan is holding me back"
"i'll be the greates jedi ever"
"I rival yoda with my lightsaber skills" and obiwan's awesome remark only in your dreams
"I'm better than this"
etc...
If you accept the fact that anakin is below average jedi in the intellgence department it all makes sense.
easily manipulated
poor judgement
cannot admit mistakes/defeat
these are all trademarks of a george dubuya intellegence quotient
At the end he truly proved it when obiwan had the advantage in the lava pits and told him so and he knew he was defeated but still tried to attack obiwan and got chopped up as a result!

// added end quote tag

The whole 'I can overthrow the emperor, and we can rule the galaxy together' was one of my favourite lines. It really shows that Anakin is constantly thinking he is just a little bit better than he really is. He wants to be a Jedi, but when he does he feels he is being kept back. He is put on the council, but feels they are keeping him back. He is made the right hand man of the Emperor, but he feels as though he can beat him. I think at this point the dark side was really starting to affect his greed for power, and it summed up for me that he had really fallen into dark. It was like the dark side talking rather than him, convincing him ‘reckon you could overthrow him? Sure you could!’

Also, everyone seems to keep bagging Christensen for his acting. Although I think that his 'normal' acting is nothing special, when he goes into evil bastard pissed off mode, I though he did an amazing job. Maybe that's just me though.

Quote:Original post by boolean
GL probably knows he is much better at directing the movie through action, so I would not be surprised if that is why he decided to make episodes 4, 5 and 6 first.

You'd think Jar Jar is a catastrophe, but imagine "making" that character in the 70's. THAT's why he made episodes 4,5 and 6 first.

Quote:Original post by boolean
Also, everyone seems to keep bagging Christensen for his acting. Although I think that his 'normal' acting is nothing special, when he goes into evil bastard pissed off mode, I though he did an amazing job. Maybe that's just me though.

He does do a pretty good raving psycho, I must say. He had a couple of great inner-turmoil scenes as well, most notably the execution of the separatists. I'm still torn on the "what have I done?" sequence after he chucks Mace out the window; his body language and facial expressions were great, but the voice-over sounded kind of goofy.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Pretty damn good movie.

...but...

The one thing that REALLY pisses me off is scenes like the one where Anakin and Obi are in the elevator shaft. They perform that grapple-hook trick to fling-out of the elevator shaft.

I just can't stand scenes like that, annoying as hell...

... Also, that monster that Obi was riding made a really annoying noise.
The movie was better than both I and II, but was by no means a masterpiece. (But then again, the only Star Wars movie I enjoy as an adult is ESB). I'm sure these movies are fantastic for kids, and since I was once a kid and really enjoyed IV-VI I would say that Lucas did what he set out to do.

The acting was terribly wooden, though better than II. The special effects were over used and the light saber duels were lacking the grace and intensity of Episode I. The space battles lacked the grandios feeling of Episode VI. And the ground battle scenes were no match for Episode V.

However, dispite all that, it was an enjoyable movie to watch.

My biggest fan-boy complaint was a complete lack of IG-88, which this movie would have been a perfect time to insert a little more of this ESB character into the series.

I would've much rather seen IG-88, if only for a second, than a reappearance of Jar-Jar and that other fat guy from Ep1.

...and was anyone else wondering why in the first scene in the space battle when Obi had the little droids on the hull of his ship he didn't just force push them off?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement