Started by
3 comments, last by SirLuthor 18 years, 11 months ago
I decided to make a little config app for my program. I did my enumerated my display modes for the first time and was shocked that my card has 670 modes! [lol] I'm just wondering what modes I should include in my list box for the user to select. As a quick test, I wrote a few filters to try and trim the list, but it still gives way too many options, and listed only the 16 and 32 bit modes, that were 1.33 aspect ratio and 1600*x or less, but that still left me with 166 modes to choose from! I was initially only going to have 640x480, 800x600, and 1024x768, but I want to look nice on monitors that are locked into native resolutions. I came up with some rules on my own, but it still leaves some modes I'm not too sure about. If I pick the bit depth and refresh rate as seperate choices, then only list the modes that match those, I can get a tiny list. I'm not sure about these 240hz modes. Does anyone use that? I'm guessing that's for dual monitors with twin 120hz displays? [totally] And what about 'odd' resolutions like 848*480, 1152*864 and 1088*612?
Advertisement
Basic choices that work for most if not all modern moniters are, IIRC:
640-480
600-800
1024-768
1152-864
1280-960
1280-1024

Color should be offered in 16 bits or 32 (although I strongly doubt that anyone still uses 16). As for refresh rates, I don't know that these should be user configurable? It should probably be whatever it was set on before you enumerated. I have never yet seen a game where you can change the refresh rate from the settings, nor anywhere else.
Free speech for the living, dead men tell no tales,Your laughing finger will never point again...Omerta!Sing for me now!
Every game I've played has a refresh rate option in their configuration.
Simply use selection of 3 different comobos for:
- Resolution
- Color depth
- Refresh rate
Quote:Original post by Vampyre_Dark
Every game I've played has a refresh rate option in their configuration.

Really? Well then I must be blind then, because I've never seen that option...
Free speech for the living, dead men tell no tales,Your laughing finger will never point again...Omerta!Sing for me now!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement