Help me get started please

Started by
11 comments, last by Spoonbender 18 years, 11 months ago
Quote:Original post by chad_420

4.Whats wrong with dx 8.1? I would bet that neither of us are good enough programmers to use either version to its limits! or even close.

Yes you're probably right. But the thing is, can D3D 8.1 do vertex/pixel shader 2.0? I might be wrong, but I remember reading that it only supports version 1.4. And all I ever use is version 2.0. And isn't there alot of changes to the API as well? That would make the transition to D3D 9 quite a headache if you have alot of code.

Sorry for getting completely offtopic...
Advertisement
I just wanted to say thanks for the help on getting started I've successfully compiled and linked the first Andy Pike sample.

I've gone for DirectX and VC++.... for now at least.
Quote:Original post by Gretter
To all, thanks for the input.

It's interresting that no one imidately writes VS .Net and DirectX is THE choise. The right combo for game programming.

That's because people here are cheap. ;)
Lots of hobby programmers, who have a thing about preferring cheap tools like GCC or Dev-Cpp. And because they're in "helping newbies"-mode. SDL or Allegro may be easier to get started with, which is the main reason some people suggest those. And as soon as someone creates a thread with the words "get started", or "help", som people start offloading all their personal preferences, and discuss what is best for their own project, no matter what the actual question was... You'll get used to it. ;)

In the "real world", VS .Net and DirectX are probably the most common options. If you've got access to VS.Net, then you might as well use it. It's a great IDE/compiler. DirectX takes some getting used to, but it *is* the standard for most PC games.

But it really depends on how you judge your own skills. You say you've used C++ before, so jumping into DirectX might not be too much of a problem. But a lot of people recommend starting out with simpler API's like SDL (and some even prefer to keep using them).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement