What is the best game to start off making?

Started by
16 comments, last by tehMatthewJ 18 years, 11 months ago
People reccomend Tetris, but Sega's game called Columns is actually easier. I'm writing up a version in VB.net, and the game is fairly simple.
Check out Drunken Brawl at http://www.angelfire.com/games6/drunken_brawl!
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by ukdeveloper
I'm working on Pong at the moment (my 4th attempt - 4th time lucky?).

It's probably very dull for most people, but it's important that you do it.

Are you designing it and planning the stuff before you develop it?

Designing and Planning the stuff helps a LOT.

Also, I never find programming anything dull. Whenever i achieve something i want in programming it makes me feel great :D. I love the feeling.

I'd recomend doing some simple Console Games like a Text RPG first and then go to the bigger things. You can also give a try at making a simple text based Minesweeper.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Looking for video game music? Check out some of my samples at http://www.youtube.c...ser/cminortunes            

I'm currently looking to create music for a project, if you are interested e-mail me at cminortunes@gmail.com    

Please only message me for hobby projects, I am not looking to create music for anything serious.
Hmmm... well, I'd say if you have previous programming experience, to jump straight to tetris. That's what I did. The game was really simple to program, except, except for the logic that collapses lines (for some reason, I tried that about 5 times before I got it). But the animation is simple, the collision detection is simple...

However if you don't have much programming experience, I'd say start with tic-tac-toe and work up from there. Someone posted a nice ordered list of games a little bit ago, and I thought it was pretty accurate. I wouldn't say pong before tetris though. In fact I wouldn't say pong at all. I say straight to breakout. But then again, I'm odd.
----------------------------------------------------------No matter how eloquently you state your argument, the fact remains that the toilet seat is a bistable device. Therefore it's natural position is no more down than it is up.[SDL Smooth Tile Scrolling]
Quote:Original post by ScootA
In order:

> Tic-tac-toe
> Pong
> A better tic-tac-toe
> Tetris
> Pac-man
> Space-invaders-clone
> Better Space Invaders Clone
> Worms Clone
> 3D Tetris
> 3D Pacman
> 3D Space Shooter
> Simple FPS
> Hockey MMORPG

Is worms clone, like Worms for NES, or like Nibbles? I would think Nibbles would be easier than Pac-man (maybe take me a day, like Tetris did). Worms like the NES would take me a few months.
Worms:
Worms

At least that's what I think he's talking about.
----------------------------------------------------------No matter how eloquently you state your argument, the fact remains that the toilet seat is a bistable device. Therefore it's natural position is no more down than it is up.[SDL Smooth Tile Scrolling]
Quote:Original post by Arkainium
I just recently made a Pac-Man clone. I've been programming for quite a while now, and yet it was still by no means trivial. Games by nature are rather complex, so really anything you decide to work on will be challenging. (Yes, there are some exceptions.) Whatever you decide, remember to take the time to do some designing because you'd be surprised how quickly things become complex. And above all else, try to stick with anything you start. That's about all I can say really. Good luck!

I liked your site, a tad cheesy but fun that way.
Quote:Original post by Tom Knowlton
I liked your site, a tad cheesy but fun that way.

[lol]

Glad you liked it.
A good, simple one to start with, and also work with random computer-driven choices is Rock/Paper/Scissors. I know, I kind of did it backwards. I did TicTacToe first, then R/P/S, and my latest game I have finished is BlackJack. Where would that fall on the list?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement