Petzold Dead?

Started by
5 comments, last by Daaark 18 years, 11 months ago
I tried 3 bookstores today to try and find Charles Petzold Programming Windows book to no avail. Is this no longer the industry standard win32 reference? Or is it because outside of game programming, most people use either MFC or .NET now?
Advertisement
*shrug* Generally when a bookstore doesn't have a book I need, I order it. [smile]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Have you tried Amazon yet? If you don't want to order online or can't you could always have the bookstore order it for you. They would probably be happy to do so.
I _would_ recommend .NET. The only thing that's annoying is the framework that needs to be installed (with all it's backwards compatability problems) and perhaps the fact that you need MS software.
Quote:Original post by Pipo DeClown
I _would_ recommend .NET. The only thing that's annoying is the framework that needs to be installed (with all it's backwards compatability problems) and perhaps the fact that you need MS software.

Does this mean then having to do managed programming? Do many games now use .NET to handle the windows related stuff rather than the Win32 API?
Most games will probably be using the Win32 API, however in a typical game there is very little Win32 code (basically they'll be some code to create a window and setup either OpenGL or DX). If all you want to do is make games you don't really need to know the Win32 API. If you actually want to make a GUI app I'd recomend staying away from Win32 anyway, WinForms (part of the .Net class library) would be a better choice.

If you really want to learn the Win32 API for some reason you can get the Petzold book on Amazon here
You can try winprog.org too.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement