maya or 3DSmax?

Started by
11 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 10 months ago
Quote:Original post by videodragon20032003
Quote:GMAX is nothing like 3dsmax

Quote:Gmax IS 3dsmax 4!

Quote:yes i know gmax is 3dsmax

Just so you know, this is how I heard the conversation. And yes, those "pointless commands" are to make models with. You can also customize the GUI, so I have no idea what quarrel you could have with it.

[/thread-hijack]

I find Max much simpler than Maya, especially in the interface. But I just recently started to tinker around in Maya, so I'll give you an update later on, if you still have questions.

I find Max much simpler than Maya, especially in the interface. But I just recently started to tinker around in Maya, so I'll give you an update later on, if you still have questions.

Yeah when I used to use 3dmax 4 it was pretty easy to get started with but the latest versions seem to work more and more like maya or am I seeing things?
For instance there were no marking menus that popped up when you pressed the spacebar like in maya is one thing I noticed when I started using maya.
Anyways even though 3dmax was easy to start with after a while it became a pain since it liked to crash alot so you had to save often and once you start doing advanced stuff alot of things seemed patched on or they had like a million other plugin's you had to get just to do stuff like hair!
Maya is lot harder to start out with but once you get good with it you can use it on linux,mac,etc unlike max. Also it's lot more stable and you never get lost even with the most advanced projects since everything is node based. That's the whole key to learning maya really everything and I mean everything is a node not to mention everything is programmable.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Advertisement
HOW CAN YOU EVEN HESITATE??
Maya is definetely the way to go, it's got everything packed into ONE software so you can make them all interact.
Go do some research especially on alias.com
you'll see that maya will realise all your dreams while max will attempt.

and WTF? maya is by far the best interface and customizable, your free with maya imprisoned with 3ds.

tuning into a software war ?
Maya is hard to begin with but easy to continue with. 1 click - 1 big function.
Max - more clicks but greater freedom and power.

I prefere Max. Its modeling is A+ and animation tools are advancing way faster than mayas - maya was in baby shoes when 3ds max had already new advanced features such as muscle simulation, advanced plugins like humanIK ( core of Motionbuilder) which alias really loved and made a special Alias Motionbuilder, not to mention powerful features packed in 7th version like skin blend,skinmorpg, skin wrap vs mayas aged lattices and wrappers.
From game dev point of view it has very poor support and MEL gets very messy. People say MEL makes its negative sides up... how many of you know MaxScript ?

From Maya point of view - its powerful piece of all in 1. Very fast to learn, great tutorials, great video tutorials. Toy around with PLE and if you like It, its cheaper to buy. I said alot of mean stuff about Maya before, maybe it is me.

From my point of view, I STRONGLY DISLIKE ALIASEs bragging and monopolism, they are having contracts with companies like intel and dell ( dell using only intel's cpu's) and call themselves the BEST, same with Alias.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement